Poping/Static - not my equipment?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
SXGT
Operating System: Windows 10

Poping/Static - not my equipment?

Post by SXGT » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:24 am

So out of no where I started having poping and static on my voice recordings. I first assumed it was an issue with my USB line going to my computer and changed to another set up with a new line and still had the same issue. I also tried different USB ports / audio jacks and had the same issue. I reinstalled audacity and still have this issue. I opened up my windows sound settings and "listened to device" and did not hear the poping sound.

This poping seems to be WORSE with my Shure58+Behringer UM2 than with my Headset mic but IS present for both. Any ideas what this could be?

computer specs if that matter:

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Poping/Static - not my equipment?

Post by kozikowski » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:33 am

Post some of the damage.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=72887

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:41 am

Do you use cloud storage? Audacity doesn't like that very much.

Do you have a new install of Zoom, Skype or other comm or chat application?

Koz

SXGT

Post by SXGT » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:04 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1m400yzc4v2mp ... s.wav?dl=0

I do not use any cloud type storage services
I do use Discord and it updates nearly twice a week but I always have discord closed when I use Audacity.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:51 am

I can hear them, but I can't find them. So it seems to be something being added to the show, not Audacity putting blank holes in the sound.

We can see what the other elves think.

Koz

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:01 am

kozikowski wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:51 am
I can hear them, but I can't find them.
Here is one. There's a bit of data missing, causing a discontinuity ("glitch"):

First Track000.png
First Track000.png (18.88 KiB) Viewed 103 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 am

I reinstalled audacity
If you're in Audacity 2.4.2, there is a tick to reset Audacity when you reinstall. If you don't select that, Audacity will hold over your old preferences and settings and you won't have the "clean" Audacity you think you do.
"listened to device" and did not hear the poping sound.
Do you hear it when you click in the Audacity recording meters > Click to start monitoring?

Only when you actually record?

Did Windows do an update in the middle there?

Koz

SXGT

Post by SXGT » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 am

Do you hear it when you click in the Audacity recording meters > Click to start monitoring?

Only when you actually record?

Did Windows do an update in the middle there?

Koz
I have 2.4.2

I hear it when monitoring from audacity.

Widows did not update from what I can see this issue happened after January 7th I have a clean recording I did on that day. Widows update/patch came out the 13th and I already had the issue then.

What I did do was turn off Audacity monitor, but kept "listen to this device on" It was a clear recording from that monitor and then on replay it had the pops.

I just now did a hard reset of all settings, I am going to see how this goes and get back with you.

jademan
Operating System: Please select

Post by jademan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:41 pm

Also especially on Windows, you want to check that all of your sampling rates are the same. Check the Audacity's project rate at the lower left-hand corner of the screen. This should be the same as the Windows rate: right-click on [speaker icon] > Sounds > Recording > [Behringer UM2 USB] > Properties > Advanced > Default Format.

For some Behringer equipment, the default is 48000 while the default for Audacity may be 44100. This could cause exactly the kind of problem you are seeing. Make sure all of these rates are the same.

I hope this helps. :D

SXGT

Post by SXGT » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:54 pm

jademan wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:41 pm
Also especially on Windows, you want to check that all of your sampling rates are the same. Check the Audacity's project rate at the lower left-hand corner of the screen. This should be the same as the Windows rate: right-click on [speaker icon] > Sounds > Recording > [Behringer UM2 USB] > Properties > Advanced > Default Format.

For some Behringer equipment, the default is 48000 while the default for Audacity may be 44100. This could cause exactly the kind of problem you are seeing. Make sure all of these rates are the same.

I hope this helps. :D
Everything is the same Mhz sample rate at 48000, That reset seemed like it helped last night but today I am back to the same issue. It is almost like the issues is not there until it is and once its there it lingers. there is no half the time its there half the time its not, I mean to say once the poping starts it stays.