Automatic Gain Control AGC plug-in

I’m having two problems with this plugin. The first is that with a file I’m using, I keep getting a crash about 1/3 of the way through. It’s a long file, almost 4 hours long. It gets about 1/3 through, then gives the error “Audacity failed to read a file in H:.” I’ve tried moving the temporary folder to other drives, with the same problem, except that it names the new drive letter instead. This file is one I saved after using the noise reduction effect. For some reason, I don’t get the error when I use the original file. The file is a podcast recording done over Skype with multiple people talking. We traditionally use the noise reduction before using Levelator. I was trying to use this plugin instead, but it won’t seem to let me.

On a second note, I’m getting some bad static during short pauses between speaking when I use this function with the original file without the noise reduction. I’m assuming this is taking the background microphone noise and static and amplifying it. It happens with both the voice and the telephone preset.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem. Originally, I thought it might have been because of the very long file. But it works fine with the original unaltered recording.
Thanks!

Moderator note: I split this off from the old thread that you tacked this onto - it’s better standing on its own.

Please ensure that you have the latest version of the AGC plug-in (available here: AGC - Automatic Gain Control)

Yes, it’s the one in the last post in that thread.

I’m thinking there is probably some bad data in the project that is causing the problem. As you have conformed, the length of the project is not the problem.

Which version of Audacity are you using?

What happens if you try to apply the effect to one hour sections? (0 to 1 hour, 1 to 2 hours, 2 to 3 hours, 3 hours to end)