RMS Normalize

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
smbutler
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: RMS Normalize

Post by smbutler » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:49 am

Now how do I get started on it? I put it in the plugin folder, but I don't know how to get started on it. Help?

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 pm

smbutler wrote:Now how do I get started on it? I put it in the plugin folder, but I don't know how to get started on it. Help?
To install Nyquist plug-ins on Windows, see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/inst ... st_install
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

magicmcm

Post by magicmcm » Thu May 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi Steve,

I don't quite understand how to install these plug-ins (both the rms and acx check). I've downloaded them both in firefox, but neither show up in my attempts to add the plugins and enable them following Audacity's instructions.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu May 03, 2018 4:09 pm

magicmcm wrote:I don't quite understand how to install these plug-ins (both the rms and acx check). I've downloaded them both in firefox, but neither show up in my attempts to add the plugins and enable them following Audacity's instructions.
The installation instructions are here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/inst ... st_install
At what point do you get stuck?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:36 pm

That was another problem the earlier tools had. They were aggressively input level dependent.

There is a current audiobook poster struggling with that now. I think they're trying to use a one-size fitz-all tool and it's not going well.

In RMS Normalize, the performance level is completely independent of the result. An amazing amount of complexity vanishes when you can do that.

Koz

christianw

Post by christianw » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 pm

RMS Normalize saves my bacon.

As an amateur reading my own audiobook, I start with -23 in post.

That automatically gets into the ACX range, with other settingsfrom there.

(Audiobook producers have to meet the standards of Audible. The check in Audacity is called ACX Check.)

It is a great sigh of relief (don't forget to edit out the sigh) when the file passes the test.