Extend Silences

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Extend Silences

Post by steve » Tue May 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Dashakol wrote:If you have several audios with several of those high threshold segments in them, manual scanning, selecting and running effect for each segment will take a very long time.
Yes, but still much quicker than manually extending each silence.

If there was an option was added to "Extend silences" plug-in for setting a limiting duration and a higher second threshold, how would the plug-in know which parts to use the higher threshold on, and which to use the lower threshold?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Dashakol
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Dashakol » Tue May 22, 2018 6:27 pm

steve wrote: If there was an option was added to "Extend silences" plug-in for setting a limiting duration and a higher second threshold, how would the plug-in know which parts to use the higher threshold on, and which to use the lower threshold?
The same way we do it manually, it should actually run two times. After the first run with the base settings, it should check if some audio segments have been left which are longer than the "limiting duration". Then in the second run it should search within those segments for a "higher threshold" so they could be divided further.

Actually the only additional setting for this plug-in would be the "limiting duration". For example if you wish to have audio segments no more than 3 seconds, that would be your "limiting duration" and if a 7sec segment is left after the first run, the "Extend Silences" plug-in can analyze that segment and find the smallest value as a "higher threshold" which can divide this segment to less than 3sec parts. This threshold may be different for each long segment which is left after the first run.

eg_lim
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by eg_lim » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:36 pm

I want to share my modification of steve's ExtendSilence.ny.
The repeating segment(chunk) feature is added for 'hard' training.
If 'Number of exercise' option is 1, segments won't be repeated.

I used segrep command at final stage, which is very slow. But I don't know the better way because I'm a novice.
So the progress indicator will be meaningless in most cases.
Please be patient to get the result.

This is my first modification of GPL program.
If my header in the source has mistakes, please let me know. I'll correct them.

Thank steve for the original work.
Attachments
ExtendSilenceThenRepeat.ny
modified plug-in
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:49 pm

Congratulations eg_lim on completing your first plug-in modification :D

There is one problem that I see with this (modified) plug-in, which is that it requires a silence at the end, otherwise it messes up.
Here's my test track. It has 3 sounds, each of duration 2 seconds, and each of different amplitudes so that they can be easily identified visually. The space between each sound is 3 seconds.

First Track000.png
First Track000.png (8.45 KiB) Viewed 37 times
If I select the whole thing, including the trailing silence, then it works as expected. With default settings, the result is:

First Track001.png
First Track001.png (8.68 KiB) Viewed 37 times

However, if there is no silence at the end, or only a short silence at the end, like this:

First Track003.png
First Track003.png (8.7 KiB) Viewed 37 times
then the result is:
First Track002.png
First Track002.png (8.45 KiB) Viewed 37 times

Also, it is highly recommended to set your text editor to use spaces rather than tabs, so that indentation is consistent when viewing the code.

There's also quite a few minor things that could be improved, several of which come from improvements to Nyquist in Audacity that were made after "Extend Silences" was written. If you would like me to detail these I'd be happy to do so.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)