Updated De-Clicker and new De-esser for speech

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
WAWA
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Updated De-Clicker and new De-esser for speech

Post by WAWA » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 pm

I'd love to try this De-Esser plug in as I hiss like a snake but it is not recognized on my Windows 10 set up, does anyone have an up to date link that might help me? Thank you!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:32 am

WAWA wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 pm
I'd love to try this De-Esser plug in as I hiss like a snake but it is not recognized on my Windows 10 set up, does anyone have an up to date link that might help me? Thank you!
De-Clicker and De-esser are "Nyquist plug-ins". Installation instructions are here:
Windows: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/ins ... st_install
MacOS: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/ins ... st_install
Linux: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/ins ... st_install
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:00 pm

De-Esser plug in as I hiss like a snake
How about a goose? Nobody ever hisses like a goose, but that's scarrier. Snakes can't fly.

Do you know you're experiencing "Essing?" Essing is a specific condition where a collection of high-pitch tones is dynamically and artificially boosted. That's different from turning the treble tone control up. Essing produces an otherwise normal-sounding voice and presentation until you get to an "SS" word. Then it produces the ice-pick in the ear boost. SSiSSter SSuzy SSellSS.

You may also consider DeSibilator. DeSibilator is an offshoot of the regular DeEsser tools.

viewtopic.php?p=404021#p404021

Find the RMS value of your performance: Select the show. Analyze > Contrast > Measure Selection. Write down that number. Close Contrast.

Effect > DeSibilator. Put the RMS number in Threshold. Say -20 (dB).

I don't remember the default frequencies, but start with 4000 and 14000. Leave the other numbers alone.

Watch the blue waves as you apply DeSibilator. You should see tiny blobs of blue vanish here and there. Those are the boosted SS sounds. Listen to the result. I see you can preview the effect although I've never done that.

Since you have pronounced "hissy" delivery, you may get different results than someone with random SS words here and there.

Post back how it goes. The instant you change the volume of your work, you'll have to find a new RMS value. If you're audiobooking (a new verb) you can apply DeSibilator after Audiobook Mastering. The threshold setting will always be -20 (dB) because that's what mastering does and that's the ACX loudness standard.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:13 pm

Ding!

Default frequencies are 3000 and 13000. Try those first.

This will check your hearing. 13000 is getting into the high-pitch tonal range where older people lose it.

WHAT?

I SAID 13000 IS GETTING.........

Koz

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:19 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:13 pm
Ding!

Default frequencies are 3000 and 13000. Try those first.

This will check your hearing. 13000 is getting into the high-pitch tonal range where older people lose it.

WHAT?

I SAID 13000 IS GETTING.........
I wish, I wish ...

9,500 Hz is about my limit these days Koz

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

Lifejuicer
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by Lifejuicer » Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 pm

Can I open these on a Mac? Seems like nothing happens after downloading the files.....

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Fri May 07, 2021 4:25 pm

Lifejuicer wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 pm
Can I open these on a Mac? Seems like nothing happens after downloading the files.....
These are "Nyquist Plug-ins". They need to be installed, and then enabled.
Instructions for Mac are here: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/ins ... st_install

dadofmo

Post by dadofmo » Wed May 12, 2021 3:43 am

Hi. Newbie with Audacity and VO in general. I am trying to hone my skills in all things VO and one main focus is recording and editing in Audacity. I Have added the Paul L. de-esser and de-click nyquist effects. One thing I just can't figure out with the de-click is when I select "isolate changes" so it literally only shows the portions it is calling out as clicks after I select "apply changes" I can't figure out how to get back to my normal audio. I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

Also, on the first page of this thread Paul L. says he started the Audacity VO FB group. I have asked to join that group several weeks ago and have not been admitted yet. I'm wondering if this group is still in existence, and if so, does anyone have a tip for me on how I can get admitted?

Thanks.

Scott

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed May 12, 2021 12:09 pm

dadofmo wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:43 am
I can't figure out how to get back to my normal audio.
Any effect can be immediately undone with "Edit menu > Undo" ("Ctrl + Z").
Note that "Undo" is in strictly chronological order. It will undo the last change, then if you "Undo" again it will undo the previous change, and so on.
dadofmo wrote:
Also, on the first page of this thread Paul L. says he started the Audacity VO FB group. I have asked to join that group several weeks ago and have not been admitted yet.
That facebook group is not affiliated with Audacity, it's a private facebook group. We have no say and no influence over that facebook group.
Perhaps your request didn't get through - you could try to join the group again, but avoid too many requests or it may look to the group moderators like spam.

dadofmo

Post by dadofmo » Wed May 12, 2021 1:22 pm

steve wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:09 pm
dadofmo wrote:
I can't figure out how to get back to my normal audio.
Any effect can be immediately undone with "Edit menu > Undo" ("Ctrl + Z").
Note that "Undo" is in strictly chronological order. It will undo the last change, then if you "Undo" again it will undo the previous change, and so on.
dadofmo wrote:
Also, on the first page of this thread Paul L. says he started the Audacity VO FB group. I have asked to join that group several weeks ago and have not been admitted yet.
That facebook group is not affiliated with Audacity, it's a private facebook group. We have no say and no influence over that facebook group.
Perhaps your request didn't get through - you could try to join the group again, but avoid too many requests or it may look to the group moderators like spam.
Thanks. I know how to undo. My question is after I isolate the clicks and let's say there are 20 and go to each one and highlight>de-click>apply change then why would I want to un-do if the goal is to remove the clicks to improve the quality of my recording? Maybe I'm not using the isolate changes feature as intended? Is that just to show you you have clicks and where they are and then you have to mark each one? Sorry if I'm coming across dense....I just really love the idea of having the de-click and want to make sure I know how to use it properly and efficiently.