Karaoke, Rotation, Panning & more

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
Starkiller2
Operating System: Please select

Re: Karaoke, Rotation, Panning & more

Post by Starkiller2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:26 am

In 2.1.0 release on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit (the same build and environment that Starkiller has), those two vocalrediso.ny files appear to process the audio but leave it unmodified.
Wait a minute, do you mean you were able to reproduce the problem and now I'm not the only one?
If so you could try compiling the 2.1.1 source tarball
I'll try this later when I have time, but how long do you think it will take before a precompiled version 2.1.1 is available on the ubuntuhandbook ppa? (or elsewhere)
Last edited by Starkiller2 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert J. H.
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Robert J. H. » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:31 am

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Does vocalrediso.ny depend only on Nyquist 4 which was first supported in Audacity 2.1.0, or on Audacity 2.1.1?
It worked fine for me with Audacity 2.1.0 alpha Feb 8th,

Starkiller has both Nyquist versions, 3 and 4.

It seems to me that either the FFT implementation or object oriented code within Nyquist does not work correctly on a Linux 64-bit system.

Robert

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:45 am

Starkiller2 wrote:
In 2.1.0 release on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit (the same build and environment that Starkiller has), those two vocalrediso.ny files appear to process the audio but leave it unmodified.
Wait a minute, do you mean you were able to reproduce the problem and now I'm not the only one?
Yes I could reproduce the audio not being modified on 14.04 64-bit, but only with Audacity 2.1.0. There was no problem with Audacity 2.1.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

And the old Vocal Remover worked properly in 2.1.0 on 14.04 64-bit.
Starkiller2 wrote:
If so you could try compiling the 2.1.1 source tarball
I'll try this later when I have time, but how long do you think it will take before a precompiled version 2.1.1 is available on the ubuntuhandbook ppa? (or elsewhere)
Audacity does not provide binaries of Audacity on Linux. You could post on the Ubuntu Handbook blog that you are hoping for a 2.1.1 version of the PPA. Who knows, he might make a new one.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

Robert J. H.

Post by Robert J. H. » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:15 am

Starkiller2, thank you very much for pointing out this bug.

It shows how important feedback is. I should think that after 2 years and more than 1000 downloads other users have had the same problem but did search the fault by themselves - presumably.

It is a fortune that the official release coincides with the update of the Nyquist libraries and that the issue is now solved for the future (fingers crossed).

Best regards
Robert

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:32 am

Gale Andrews wrote:Presumably a 32-bit system, though?
Yes, and built from the source code.
Gale Andrews wrote:In 2.1.0 release on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit (the same build and environment that Starkiller has), those two vocalrediso.ny files appear to process the audio but leave it unmodified.
That's very strange. The fact that it is a 64-bit OS should not make any difference as Nyquist is a 32-bit library, but perhaps there is some other difference in the build environment.
Gale Andrews wrote:The above works for me on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit in Audacity 2.1.1 RC3
Well I guess that is the important thing, but it would be good if someone could test this when there is an Ubuntu 64 release of 2.1.1.
(I don't have a 64-bit machine available for testing).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Starkiller2

Post by Starkiller2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Audacity does not provide binaries of Audacity on Linux.
Does that mean that the Audacity we find on Ubuntu's software manager is there only because a volunteer helped put it there?
Starkiller2, thank you very much for pointing out this bug.
I didn't expect the attention I got, this is a good forum. I'm only glad I'm helping make Audacity better :)

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:14 pm

Starkiller2 wrote:
Audacity does not provide binaries of Audacity on Linux.
Does that mean that the Audacity we find on Ubuntu's software manager is there only because a volunteer helped put it there?
Or volunteers, yes. Audacity only provides source code for Linux. Each Linux distribution decides if they want to make their own packaged binary version of Audacity, with all dependent packages that makes it run on that distribution installed when the user installs the package.

If Audacity was some obscure esoteric application, few distributions would provide packages for it. In that case the user would have to compile the application themselves and install any missing dependencies as they run into errors trying to build it.

In Audacity's case you still have to build it if you want a later version than the distribution has already packaged.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

Starkiller2

Post by Starkiller2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:12 am

I just got Audacity 2.1.1 (thanks to ubuntuhandbook) and the plugin works! :D
Thanks everyone!

Robert J. H.

Post by Robert J. H. » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:15 am

Starkiller2 wrote:I just got Audacity 2.1.1 (thanks to ubuntuhandbook) and the plugin works! :D
Thanks everyone!
Thanks for the update.
That's quite a relief.

Robert

Michael Kazmierski

Post by Michael Kazmierski » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi Robert, Steve and other plugin crew,
Well, I really absolutely love Robert's Stereo Toolkit plugin, but I also must say that there's quite a bit of clutter and a LOT of options shipped with one plugin. I downloaded it primarily for the Spinning options, which are amazing, but I think it would be good if we could benefit from a separate plugin devoted to this spinning / rotation stuff. Now, as a disclaimer I cannot code in Nyquist, but I do know the exact parameters. I'll leave it up to you plugin gurus to code this for me.

So, when you launch the plugin, the only help message indicates that a negative number goes counterclockwise, positive numbers are clockwise. The first option would be a choice: Fixed rotation, Variable Rotation (degrees per second), and finally, Variable Rotation (full circles per second).
No option for Return Audio or Play Audio, it would just apply the effect like any other Nyquist plugin when you press OK.
First edit box: Initial parameter: For fixed rotation would be the initial number of degrees, for variable rotation degrees / second would be the initial number of degrees each second, and for full circles the number of 360 degree spins each second. My limits would be only from -360 to 360.
Second edit box: Final parameter: Identical to the first initial parameter, but this will be the final parameter in all regards.
Phase (degrees): ONLY FOR VARIABLE ROTATION, start the rotation from anywhere, not just 0 degrees. Even negative numbers (say -45) can be entered as well. Again it would be feasible if it ranges from -360 to 360.
I have tried my very best efforts to try to strip the necessary coding out to make this plugin, but I'm not having any success whatsoever with this. So, can someone please help me base this off of Robert's plugin please? Again, I know exactly the parameters and such, I just can't code it yet.
Thanks so much,

Michael