Pauken - add silence and repeat chunk

Pauken adds silence and multiplies a selected fragment. It helps when you learn foreign languages by listening and repeating phrases after a speaker.
pauken.ny (1010 Bytes)

Thanks olpa. It works perfectly :slight_smile:
What does the name mean?

If I can make a wild guess, it is a german slang Expression for “to learn labouriously and rather reluctantly” (e.g. “Pauker” is a teacher).

It works perfectly

I’m glad to hear it, that the plugin works on other PCs too.

By the way, I use this tool for several months now. And I’m very satisfied. I speak better then several years ago.

What does the name mean?

The Robert’s wild guess is correct. I am not a native german speaker, but hope that the word “pauken” reflects the goal of the plugin well.

The Name fits perfectly, especially in Connection with vocabulary and word learning.
It is maybe connected to the german word for kettledrum. I imagine that the “Pauker” is the one who strikes the kettledrum on a galley to enforce the rowing of the slaves.
Another word would be “Büffeln”.
We hardly ever use them in Switzerland, especially the former - rather a prussian expression.

This is good stuff.
I am wanting to make a version of files with silence at the beginning instead of the end. Would it be easy to add the option to add the silence at the beginning?

Try this (attached).
I’ve given it an English name (“Repeat with gaps…”) as the vast majority of our users speak English.
If you want to change the default settings, open the file in a plain text editor (such as NotePad or NotePad++) and edit the lines that start with “;control”. For example, to set the default number of repeats to 5, change:

;control repeats "Number of repeats" int "" 3 1 20

to

;control repeats "Number of repeats" int "" 5 1 20

The first number at the end of the line is the default value, the second number is the minimum value and the final number is the maximum value.

Numbers greater than the control range may be typed into the text boxes, but are not remembered the next time the effect is opened.
The “Sanitize” code prevents silly values being applied (thousands of repeats are likely to cause a crash).
RepeatWithGaps.ny (1.03 KB)

Fantastic! Thank you so much! My life just got much better. I really appreciate it.

Is there a way to combine this plug-in with Extend Silences https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/extend-silences/34612/1
so that it could find silence sections and repeat sounds between them?

I think that could be done, however, Nyquist would need to load the entire audio file, plus the repeats and silences, in RAM. As Nyquist is a 32-bit application, the available RAM is limited to 2 GB and Audacity processes audio in 32-bit float format. It’s probably not worth the effort to combine these plug-ins unless you intend to use it on a reasonably long selection, but the memory requirements of a long selection are likely to exhaust the available RAM cause a crash. So the short answer is; yes, theoretically possible, but not practical.

Thank you for your answer. I’m not sure if 5 minutes is a reasonable selection.

If someone could create this script for 5 minute long selections that would be super helpful to learn new languages.

After applying “Extend Silences”, that could could become more than double, but let’s say double the length. Then applying “Pauken” could repeat it many times, let’s say 20 times. So then your 5 minute selection becomes 5 mins x 2 x 2 = 3 hours 20 mins, and that is too long for Nyquist.

I was thinking about more like 3 times.

Here’s my audio after Extend Silences effect. That would be cool if Nyquist/Audacity could find these chunks of sound that last few seconds and repeat them one time right after they end. Is this possible that someone could program it?