ReplayGain

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
T.mcqueen
Operating System: Please select

Re: ReplayGain

Post by T.mcqueen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm having trouble installing the ReplayGain.ny plugin into the Audacity Plugin folder...everytime I attempt to place it in the folder it blocks me...I'm using 2.0.5 are there any possible tips as to why this is happening and how to fix it? Thanks.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

T.mcqueen wrote:everytime I attempt to place it in the folder it blocks me
What sort of computer? Windows Vista?
Where exactly are you trying to put the plug-in?
What do you mean "it blocks you"? Is there an error message, or a warning message? If so, what exactly does it say?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

LAM

Post by LAM » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Steve, I have a few of questions about replaygain. I'm not an engineer or someone that understands lots of technical terms.
Firstly, thank you for creating this tool. It actually works pretty well for the tunes I've tried it on.

1 - Is replaygain completely lossless? If i'm using master wav or aiffs, is it going to degrade quality at all?

2 - Is it using compression?

2 - Does replaygain fix clipped peaks? I've never seen it stated that it does this but the reason i ask is, I ran one original tune through Platinum Notes software. PN said the tune had over 8000 clipped peaks. I took the original file and applied replaygain to it. Then i anaylzed the replaygain exported file in PN and this time it said zero clipped peaks!! (i'd checked the repair clipped peak minimum volume was lower than the volume that PN stated for the replay gain exported file). So then, i tried a couple of other tunes that had thousands of clipped peaks and after i'd applied replagain to the originals, PN stated they too had zero clipped peaks. If it's fixing clipped peaks as well, that is a massive bonus!

Thanks

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:40 pm

This plug-in simply amplifies the audio to a level determined by its "equal loudness" algorithm. It attempts to work out how much amplification is required to make the selected track a "medium" loudness. The algorithm is my version of the Replay Gain algorithm as described here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php ... ReplayGain

If you want the "real" Replay Gain see here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php ... ReplayGain
LAM wrote:2 - Is it using compression?
My plug-in just uses amplification and not compression.

LAM wrote:2 - Does replaygain fix clipped peaks?
No it doesn't.

LAM

Post by LAM » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:53 pm

thanks for the answers.
Do you have any clue as to why PN analysis is now stating zero clipped peaks, in tunes with thousands of clipped peaks, after applying replaygain plug in?

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:08 pm

LAM wrote:after applying replaygain plug in?
I presume that you mean the plug-in posted in this topic rather than any other ReplayGain plug-in?

My guess would be that your original audio tracks had some clipping and that Platinum Notes software detected this by looking for parts that were at 0 dB.
If that were the case then these tracks would have sounded very loud and this plug-in would amplify them to make them a more moderate loudness. This would not "fix" any clipping present, but would lower the level of the audio, thus bringing the peaks to below 0 dB. If Platinum Notes software is only looking for peaks at (or very close to) 0 dB, then it would no longer notice the clipping. Note that this is only a guess (educated guess ;)) as I've never used Platinum Notes software.

LAM

Post by LAM » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:26 pm

yes - your plug-in :)

re. clipping - that makes sense to me. So the clips are still present, but just not detectable in PN. I'll apply replaygain after using PN then. Massive big up for your plug in. I've been wanting something like this for a long time.

scott967

Post by scott967 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks for this plugin -- it is working well for me. I see at one time you were thinking about R128. Did you ever think you might implement it?

scott s.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sun May 25, 2014 6:52 pm

scott967 wrote: I see at one time you were thinking about R128. Did you ever think you might implement it?
I've read up on R128, and while it is relatively easy to implement, I have reservations. At the end of the day I think what will be most useful for users generally is an effect that works as "well" as possible, so I'm considering implementing a variation based on R128, but not strictly R128 compliant. I would expect that people that might need strict compliance (such as radio broadcasters) would be using professional tools that already include that feature.

This isn't currently my highest priority, so it may be some time before I have time to resume work on this, but it's not forgotten ;)

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:25 pm

Do we have a version without R128 stable enough to put on Wiki? Or is this plug-in not preferable to ReplayGain/MP3 Gain?

I haven't read the whole topic but the obvious question that strikes me is why the plug-in doesn't run through the tracks in turn and perform the amplification itself. Is it another Nyquist limitation? Sorry I don't recall.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual