ReplayGain

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: ReplayGain

Post by steve » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Whistler wrote:Would it be possible to have a slider to adjust the reference level?
That is essentially what the slider does.
You can look at it two ways (at least), but it's still doing the same thing:

1) The audio is Normalized to a "standard loudness", then the "Adjust Normalized Output" control amplifies the output up or down.

2) The slider control adjusts the reference level.
When at zero the reference level is (roughly) the same as the ReplayGain standard.
If the slider is increased to +5 then the reference level is 5 dB higher than the ReplayGain standard.
If the slider is lowered to -5 then the reference level is 5 dB lower than the ReplayGain standard.
Whistler wrote:The reason I’m so interested in such an option is that it would simplify the process of achieving a certain target level.
Probably the easiest way to achieve a target level is to apply the effect to each track (one track at a time) with the slider set to zero (default).
It's likely that after doing this, all of your tracks will be a bit quiet.
The important thing is that they will all be quiet by about the same amount.

If we then amplify all of the tracks by the same amount, then they will still sound about the same loudness as each other.

So what we can do is to select all of the track and apply the Amplify effect with the target level set to the required peak level (dBFS).
I would recommend using 0 dB as the target level. This means that one track will just touch 0 dB at its highest peak and all other tracks will be a bit below 0 dB, but all of the tracks should sound about the same loudness (which is what we want).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Whistler
Operating System: Please select

Post by Whistler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Meanwhile I produced a whole radio show using ReplayGain. The result is most satisfying. Of 70 tracks there were two I didn’t quite agree with and which I boosted by 1 and 2 dB respectively.
It’s worth noting that ReplayGain does not reset Gain levels set in the Track Panel, so they should be set to 0 for all tracks when applying ReplayGain.
A brilliant tool. Thanks very much.

Robbie

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback Whistler. Feedback from "testing in the wild" (real world testing) is invaluable.
I intend to come back to this "Equal Loudness Normalizing" at some point - in particular, looking at the EBU R128 algorithm.

If you're interested in this from an academic viewpoint, there's an interesting thread on the Hydrogenaudio forum: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=86424

ReplayGain and EBU R128 generally agree to within about +/- 3 dB, though there are occasional tracks that can be out by much more (the most extreme difference quoted in that topic was a massive 12.23 dB difference - I wonder which was closer to "humanly perceived loudness").

If the plug-in posted here is mostly getting to within a couple of dB of humanly perceived loudness then that's a pretty good result.
I think it's unfortunate that both ReplayGain and EBU R128 quote levels to two decimal places, as that suggests much greater accuracy than they actually achieve.

Fredsone

Post by Fredsone » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:17 am

HI
After a couple of attempts I have managed to downloaded the plugin and and get it into the Audacity plugin folder (something was blocking my ability to load the plugin directly to the Audacity plugin folder)....

I have tried it on two files and so far so good, I think it works :)

I am now going to try your plugin on a large number number of files (from record, cd etc etc) and will let you know how I get on, but so far so good....

If a computer and Audacity novice can install this and make it work then it must be user friendly :)

So from a complete Audacity novice, Danke!

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Fredsone wrote:HI
After a couple of attempts I have managed to downloaded the plugin and and get it into the Audacity plugin folder (something was blocking my ability to load the plugin directly to the Audacity plugin folder)....

I have tried it on two files and so far so good, I think it works :)

I am now going to try your plugin on a large number number of files (from record, cd etc etc) and will let you know how I get on, but so far so good....

If a computer and Audacity novice can install this and make it work then it must be user friendly :)

So from a complete Audacity novice, Danke!
Thank you for the feedback.
I'd be very interested to hear about your results from a large number of file.

Fredsone

Post by Fredsone » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:33 pm

I have worked through a folder of about 40 tracks from various sources (kinda compilation sort of thing).
All appears to be good, the folder had some tracks which were significantly quieter than others and after applying your plugin, my initial impression (on the computer speakers) is that the "loudness" is much more equal.
I have now loaded the modified folder on the trusty mp3 so I will be able to give a better report on the loudness balance soon.
I found that when compared to modern tracks, my modified tracks seemed slightly quieter when I converted them with the "Adjust Normalized Output" slider set at 0dB, a 1dB increase resolved that (subjective) issue.

On a different note, I found the the process of individually importing and modifying each track rather slow, is it possible to give your plugin the option of being attached to the Audacity toolbar(s)? This would make life a bit easier for those of us intending to work through a larger number of tracks.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Fredsone wrote:On a different note, I found the the process of individually importing and modifying each track rather slow, is it possible to give your plugin the option of being attached to the Audacity toolbar(s)?
As it is a "plug-in" and not a built-in effect it is not possible to put it into a toolbar. However, if you're using the most recent version (appears in the "Effect" menu rather than the Analyze menu) then as long as it is the last effect that has been used you can apply the effect again with Ctrl+R (Repeat last effect)

macnab

Post by macnab » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:58 am

Newbie to Audacity.

1) I can't work out where to download the file from.

2) I presume that as it is a plugin that one can't use batch processing.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:34 am

macnab wrote: 1) I can't work out where to download the file from.
Click where it says "NEW VERSION" in huge letters near the bottom of the first post.
macnab wrote:2) I presume that as it is a plugin that one can't use batch processing.
Audacity does not currently support plug-ins in Chains.

Fredsone

Post by Fredsone » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:08 am

So far so good :) .
There is only one thing I would say to anyone reading these posts....
Spend some time fiddling with the "Adjust Normalized output:"slider and then listening to what you have modified so you can establish a base "loudness" setting that matches the bulk of your music library. I am suggesting this because the age and source of a particular music file will have an impact on the musics perceived loudness.
Simply, because it is difficult to apply the ReplayGain plugin to a whole library, if you want to avoid having noticeable differences between groups of files it may help to try and match the "loudness" to the bulk of a library.

For me, I think I may have created a monster...
We have a lot of records, CD's etc of various ages loaded to the computer and are in the habit of periodically mixing tracks in "this weeks" playlist. I now have to either go back and reconvert all the tracks I have modified (and there are lots) or continue adjusting the loudness of the entire library.

So If you are contemplating trying the ReplayGain plugin then I can tell you that it does work and it is easy to use...
Just plan ahead because there doesn't appear to be (that I have found) a quick way of importing the contents of a file, applying the plugin to the imported files tracks while maintaining each tracks original labels.

Thanks again for the plugin.