ReplayGain

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
darkcity
Operating System: Please select

Re: ReplayGain

Post by darkcity » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:25 pm

The ReplayGain plugin is badly named. It does not use the ReplayGain system, that tags audio files with volume information. Instead it modifies the actual audio information.

For more information about ReplayGain see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

----

It would be better if the plugin analysed the audio then added tag information.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:04 pm

darkcity wrote:It does not use the ReplayGain system, that tags audio files with volume information.
"ReplayGain" is an algorithm for measuring perceived loudness.
Passing that information to the player via "tags" is one method of applying ReplayGain. However, not all applications support ReplayGain tags, so an alternative way to apply ReplayGain is to amplify the audio by an amount based on the ReplayGain analysis. The application "WaveGain" is another application that amplifies the track based on ReplayGain analysis.

This plug-in is a "Nyquist" plug-in. Unfortunately Nyquist is not able to add ReplayGain tags, so if you require that you would need to use a different application (example Foobar 2000).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

darkcity

Post by darkcity » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks for the reply and heads up on ReplayGain. Looks like I'm going to have to use Foobar2 on WINE.

8-)

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:20 pm

darkcity wrote: Looks like I'm going to have to use Foobar2 on WINE.
If you're on Linux, why not use one of the native Linux apps for ReplayGain?

darkcity

Post by darkcity » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:22 pm

steve wrote:
darkcity wrote: Looks like I'm going to have to use Foobar2 on WINE.
If you're on Linux, why not use one of the native Linux apps for ReplayGain?
There are no native Linux apps that will add ReplayGain tags in ID3 format.

I've install WINE and Foobar2000 now and it well : -) - still interested in native solutions though if anybody know better.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:40 pm

darkcity wrote:There are no native Linux apps that will add ReplayGain tags in ID3 format.
Let me put it another way. Why do you need to add ID3 tags for ReplayGain? MP3 format already has a built-in mechanism for controlling the playback level - that is what MP3Gain uses by default.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:06 am

darkcity wrote:There are no native Linux apps that will add ReplayGain tags in ID3 format.
Have you tried this script which writes APE tags then duplicates them to ID3 tags?
steve wrote:Let me put it another way. Why do you need to add ID3 tags for ReplayGain? MP3 format already has a built-in mechanism for controlling the playback level - that is what MP3Gain uses by default.
The "global gain" in an MP3 frame is limited to 1.5 dB steps, though. So I think one "advantage" of Replay Gain tags is that the volume change can be more precise.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:04 am

You can tell the difference in volume +/- 0.75 dB ? :shock:

Simon_W
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Simon_W » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks for this plugin Steve. I think it is very useful. It seems to be used quite often for 'collections' of music from different sources. I think it is also useful for my live recordings of classical music to obtain a similar volume loudness listening experience of my recordings.

noiseboyuk
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by noiseboyuk » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi Steve, newbie forum member, and thanks very much for this plugin.

I've arrived here via a sort of strange route. I'm putting some of my band's stuff on Spotify, and was finding it was knocked back volume-wise, which started me on a long trail that gas got me here. As I understand it, Spotify uses ReplayGain to normalise all content. So my question is - as far as you know, will the ReplayGain figure given by your plugin in Audacity be a pretty reliable indicator of what Spotify will do to a track, or is there more hidden witchcraft in their algorithms? If so, this could be a life-saver.

Many thanks.