ReplayGain

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: ReplayGain

Post by Gale Andrews » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:32 pm

benbernie wrote:it seems to work now ok..how do you add it to audacity?
If it "works" have you not already installed it? If not, see http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Downl ... ns#install.
benbernie wrote:smart playing
This topic does not contain that phrase.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

AudioSpirit
Operating System: Please select

Post by AudioSpirit » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:06 am

Steve,
First of all, *thank you* so much for your plug-ins.
It was your plug-ins that made me use Audacity and the reason I came to this forum. :)

I'm not yet using this ReplayGain plug-in, because I guess v2.0 was not available when I started converting all my digital audio library, some two years ago.
I barely remember trying v1.0, but it was not practicall to deal with thousands of files. So I ended up using WaveGain, which fiorces me to convert to wav, and back to FLAC.
But since I'm starting to convert my Classical Library now, and v2.0 allows some automation I would like to start using it in Audacity, since I'm already using it for all other audio processing.
But I have a few concerns.
steve wrote: [...]
2) The slider control adjusts the reference level.
When at zero the reference level is (roughly) the same as the ReplayGain standard.
If the slider is increased to +5 then the reference level is 5 dB higher than the ReplayGain standard.
If the slider is lowered to -5 then the reference level is 5 dB lower than the ReplayGain standard.
1) What actual "reference level" are you referring to?
The original standard proposed for ReplayGain was 83dB.
However, the author who first implemented it ended up using 89dB, and it served as base for some other implementations, like WaveGain.
So what is your standard here: is it 83dB or 89dB? (I mean, what do you get when the slider is at zero)

2) Since I'm using WaveGain with the base 89dB, I need that same reference to be used, in order to be compatible with the loudness that I already have.
However, even though I move the reference slider (from -15db to +15dB) it does not change anything. Or at least, it does not seem to change... :(
What am I missing here?

3) I learned that there are several "scales" of settings to which the "dB" term is applied.
Your scale is around zero, but the one I'm used to read about is from 83dB and upwards.
I've read something about -14dB being the same as 89dB, is this true?
Is -14dB the value I should use with your plug-in in order to have a reference sound level of 89dB?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:06 am

AudioSpirit wrote:What actual "reference level" are you referring to?
If I remember correctly (and I wrote that plug-in a long time ago), I was referring to this: http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?ti ... ence_level

Note that I would still consider this plug-in to be "experimental". I can't guarantee the accuracy of the calibration. Please test it against your WaveGain tracks, If you find that the plug-in calibration is off, let me know and we can try to tweak it a bit.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

AudioSpirit

Post by AudioSpirit » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:09 pm

steve wrote:
AudioSpirit wrote:What actual "reference level" are you referring to?
If I remember correctly (and I wrote that plug-in a long time ago), I was referring to this: http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?ti ... ence_level

Note that I would still consider this plug-in to be "experimental". I can't guarantee the accuracy of the calibration. Please test it against your WaveGain tracks, If you find that the plug-in calibration is off, let me know and we can try to tweak it a bit.

Hi Steve! Sorry for taking so long to answer you back, but I was very busy trying to test and change the way I process my audio before it goes into my digital audio library. :)

Summary: I am now confident to say, with around 98%-100% certainty, that your plug-in works *exactly* as WaveGain in most situations.
Here is what I did:
1. I took a few (at least 3) tracks from different genres to serve as source of comparison
Genres were:
Classical (Haydn symphony no. 94 - 'surprise')
New Age (Triskell)
Industrial (Evanescence)
Rock (Billy Idol)
Pop (Nik Kershaw)
Dance (Avicii)
Children (only 1 track, the exception)

2. Then I processed all the files in Audacity with two methods, using the default dB (-89 dB = 14dB? I didn't quite understand this, but I know they mean the same):
Method 1:
a) TrimSilence (my version with addition to leading and trailing trim)
b) ReplayGain (this plug-in)
c) Converted to WAV
Method 2:
a) TrimSilence (my version with addition to leading and trailing trim)
b) Converted to WAV
c) Apply WaveGain on WAV files

3. Then I would load WAV files into Audacity (a pair at a time) comparing the results, both visually and with the sound.
Visually you could immediately detect if there was any discrepancy.

4. The results, to me at least, are excellent.
The results were *exactly* the same in all, but two tracks.
One of them was not really music, but rather experimental sounds (new age track from Triskell). The difference was very slight and would go unnoticed if I didn't check in this thorough way.
The second was the track from Haydn Symphony, movement 2, which I love, and has perhaps the most extreme dynamic range I know of in music.
This was the only case in which the results were a bit different here, but just a tiny bit too.
Your plug-in clipped just a tiny bit the two climax points (where the drums roars) in order to raise the remaining sound a little bit more.
WaveGain didn't do that, so the sound bit lower with it.
But in fact, I prefer the behaviour of your plug-in, for this particular track. :)

In all other types of music and tracks, there was no difference whatsoever.
I'm very happy I finally found a reliable way of doing all audio processing in Audacity, thanks to your plug-ins.
So I can't thank you enough.

For me this plug-in is a *full working plug-in*, since it worked flawlessly in everything I threw at it. :)
If you want more details I can send them to you. ;)

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks very much for the detailed feedback.
AudioSpirit wrote:The second was the track from Haydn Symphony, movement 2, which I love, and has perhaps the most extreme dynamic range I know of in music.
This was the only case in which the results were a bit different here, but just a tiny bit too.
Your plug-in clipped just a tiny bit the two climax points (where the drums roars) in order to raise the remaining sound a little bit more.
WaveGain didn't do that, so the sound bit lower with it.
This is one aspect that I'd like to improve. Unless users check carefully as you did, the potential clipping damage could go undetected at the time of processing.
I presume that WaveGain was quite close to clipping on that track?

PennyPenny

Post by PennyPenny » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:37 pm

Hello

I have the 2.1.1 version of Audacity
There was no Replay Gain in either Eefects or Analyze
I installed Replay Gain.
Now I realize it was the old version
When I click on NEW VERSION in your post, I get a whole bunch of letters I don't understand. I'm not technical as you can probably tell. How do I find and install the new version?

Thanks
Penny

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:45 am

PennyPenny wrote:When I click on NEW VERSION in your post, I get a whole bunch of letters I don't understand.
Try right click on the link and select "Save As..." (or whatever your web browser equivalent).
If you still have a problem, please say what web browser you are using.

PennyPenny

Post by PennyPenny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:37 pm

I saved it, but it says windows cant open it. I'm using Firefox.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:03 pm

PennyPenny wrote:I saved it, but it says windows cant open it. I'm using Firefox.
Don't open it. Right-click over the saved ReplayGain.ny and choose "Copy".

Go to where you installed Audacity, then open the "Plug-Ins" folder. Hold CTRL on your computer keyboard and press V. This pastes ReplayGain.ny into the "Plug-Ins" folder.

Now in Audacity itself, choose Effect > Manage... . Find "ReplayGain" in the list. It is easiest to click the "New" radio button then the list does not show effects that are already installed. Click on "ReplayGain" and then click "Enable". Then click OK .

Now you will see Replay Gain in the Effect menu, in the second of the two lists in that menu.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

PennyPenny

Post by PennyPenny » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:38 am

Thank you so much Gale. It worked!

Penny