ReplayGain

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: ReplayGain

Post by steve » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:32 am

Gale Andrews wrote:the obvious question that strikes me is why the plug-in doesn't run through the tracks in turn and perform the amplification itself.
In the current implementation of Nyquist in Audacity, there is no difference between "white space" (no audio) and silence (zero amplitude audio). If you select multiple tracks of different lengths, then for the shorter tracks the selection will include "white space", which the plug-in will see as low amplitude audio, which may mislead the loudness estimation.
Gale Andrews wrote:Do we have a version without R128 stable enough to put on Wiki? Or is this plug-in not preferable to ReplayGain/MP3 Gain?
The current version appears to be stable, but the genuine ReplayGain/MP3 Gain/Sound Check/ITU-R BS.1770/R128 have all had much more extensive testing.

Thanks to all that have used and given feedback the results appear very encouraging, but I'd still count this plug-in as "experimental".

For the plug-in to be "release ready":
  • The "one track at a time" limitation needs to be removed (I know how to do that but it is a "TODO")
  • The name needs to be changed as this is not actually "Replay Gain".
  • I have a number of ideas for improving the accuracy of the loudness estimation, but they will break compatibility with this version.
  • Comparison of the (final) algorithm with the more established standards (Replay Gain/R128 etc.)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Robert J. H.
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Robert J. H. » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Do we have a version without R128 stable enough to put on Wiki? Or is this plug-in not preferable to ReplayGain/MP3 Gain?

I haven't read the whole topic but the obvious question that strikes me is why the plug-in doesn't run through the tracks in turn and perform the amplification itself. Is it another Nyquist limitation? Sorry I don't recall.

Gale
The current version has both, "Analyze" and "Normalize".
Should be ready for the WIKI as it is.
Of course, it is rather a "RawGain" effect. The gain is not truly ReplayGain after lossy encoding.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:57 am

I agree the latest version is not ready for release, testing with mono tones, anyway.

If I do the Analyze step, then use Effect > Amplify... to apply the adjustment suggested by Analyze, then Analyze again, I get 0.0 dB Replay Gain result.

If I apply the suggested adjustment in "Normalize" in ReplayGain, it seems that twice the entered adjustment is applied.

Or if the Normalize purpose is something else than to normalize to the ReplayGain level, I would expect it to be documented. :?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

Robert J. H.

Post by Robert J. H. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:46 am

Gale Andrews wrote:I agree the latest version is not ready for release, testing with mono tones, anyway.

If I do the Analyze step, then use Effect > Amplify... to apply the adjustment suggested by Analyze, then Analyze again, I get 0.0 dB Replay Gain result.

If I apply the suggested adjustment in "Normalize" in ReplayGain, it seems that twice the entered adjustment is applied.

Or if the Normalize purpose is something else than to normalize to the ReplayGain level, I would expect it to be documented. :?

Gale
I didn't mean that it isn't ready.
There's no adjustment suggested. "Normalize" works without prior analysis.
The adjustment (actually an offset) is because ReplayGain is commonly fairly low (-7 dB or so).
The analysis output could perhaps be more verbose and return the amplification value and the ReplayGain level +/- current adjustment.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:59 am

Robert J. H. wrote:"Normalize" works without prior analysis.
Thanks, so I see it does! Well done!

Now all we need is for it to say that on the front page of this topic...

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

floodville
Operating System: Please select

Post by floodville » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:43 pm

This includes "Equal Loudness Normalizing" and will show up in the Effect menu. Not seeing "Equal Loudness Normalizing" listed in effect menu, reloaded plug in several times, any pointers, or am i misunderstanding, do I look for "Equal Loudness Normalizing" or is this just incorporated into replay gain?

Thanks

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:48 pm

floodville wrote:This includes "Equal Loudness Normalizing" and will show up in the Effect menu.
It seems that sentence has lost a few words over the years. It should have said:
"NEW VERSION This includes "Equal Loudness Normalizing" and will show up in the Effect menu as "ReplayGain"."
I've updated the post to say that.

floodville

Post by floodville » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:31 am

Thanks for explaining that, next question...
So, I make mixes, i am trying to level the volumes from one track to another,for a more even listening experience; i am using the replay gain to normalize, using defaults for all tracks 0.0db, over all it's fairly consistent but still have some tracks that seem louder, still jumping for volume, up or down etc (appreciate that's gonna happen to some degree, folk to rock etc).
Trying to understand how to do this: The easy way to do this is to select all tracks at once and apply the Amplify effect with the default settings (step 6 in my previous post). This will bring the level of all tracks up (or down) by the same amount, so they will still have the same relative loudness. The default settings in the Amplify effect will bring the highest peak in the compilation to 0dB.
I do not see any default setting under amplify?? How do I make this happen, maybe I'm not selecting all tracks at once correctly?
Or is there another way to bump individual track volumes up/down a little relative to the track before/after?
Or, should I use some DJ mixing type software, only trouble I'm seeing there is, it would seem most mix a continuous track, cross fading each, where I want an individual final track.
Hope all this makes sense? Hope i don't have to break out a mixing board!

Thanks in advance

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:50 am

floodville wrote:I do not see any default setting under amplify??
It is automatic. When you select some audio and open the Amplify effect, the amount of gain required to bring the highest peak in the selection up to 0 dB is automatically calculated.
floodville wrote:So, I make mixes, i am trying to level the volumes from one track to another,for a more even listening experience;
There really is no substitute for listening. "Automatic" methods such as this plugin can often make a reasonable job of it, but the only sure way to ensure that each track sounds the same loudness is to listen to them and adjust as necessary.

If each of the audio sections in the mix is on a separate Audacity track, you can use the Track Gain slider (http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/au ... .html#gain) to adjust the volume of that track.

benbernie

Post by benbernie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:13 pm

thanks steve it seems to work now ok..how do you add it to audacity?also whats smart playing AND what does it do?

lenny