ReplayGain

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: ReplayGain

Post by steve » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:31 pm

The current version of Audacity is 2.1.2. You can get it here: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Instructions for installing Nyquist plug-ins in Audacity 2.1.2 are here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/effe ... st_effects
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Simon_W
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Simon_W » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 am

Hi Steve, I noticed an error message never seen before when using the ReplayGain plugin ... If I translate it to English it says "could not load settings below, will use standard settings" Then it shows the seting it can not load: time="10,0000000000"
Do you know the cause?

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:30 am

Simon_W wrote:Hi Steve, I noticed an error message never seen before when using the ReplayGain plugin ... If I translate it to English it says "could not load settings below, will use standard settings" Then it shows the seting it can not load: time="10,0000000000"
Do you know the cause?
It's a limitation of how Audacity registers effects.
Audacity uses two files to keep track of effects that have been installed: "pluginregistry.cfg" and "pluginsettings.cfg".
The type of issue that you describe most often occurs after an effect has been updated, though there are other situations that can cause it. The "problem" is that there is a mismatch between the last recorded settings used by the effect, and the settings that are valid for the effect.

For example, when you use an effect, the settings are saved as the defaults for the next time that you use that effect. Let's say that you then update the effect and the new version has one less control than the old version. When you next try to use the effect, Audacity will try to restore the last used settings, but one of them is illegal because the control no longer exist. How Audacity copes with this situation (or any other mismatch between last used settings and "valid" settings), is to read the factory default settings from the plug-in (which can only be valid) and use those settings.

In most cases, this type of issue occurs once only, and then sorts itself out as soon as valid settings have been used with the effect.
In rare occasions when the problem persists, the solution is to delete the "pluginregistry.cfg" and "pluginsettings.cfg" files, which resets all effects.

Simon_W

Post by Simon_W » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:58 am

Ok thanks for the thorough reply Steve! Enjoying your plugin and using it frequently!

markwarner

Post by markwarner » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:12 am

Just downloaded ReplayGain for Audacity. Placed the file in the Plug-In folder in Audacity, it shows in the Analyze section of Add/Remove Plug-ins... as enabled but does not show up in the drop-down section.

How can I make this plug-in usable?

DJDemon
Operating System: macOS 10.12 Sierra

Post by DJDemon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Just installed it. Seems it can be installed only in the "Effects" section, not in "Analyze".

DJDemon

Post by DJDemon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:37 pm

steve wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:31 pm
Please give feedback!
If you find this plug-in useful, please let me know.
Thank you very much, Steve! This is very, very useful for me. Image Unfortunately, this plugin was unknown to me until today.
If you have suggestions for improvements, please make them here.
Most of the audio tracks I'm working with need to be adjusted to 92 dB, or "+3 dB" in terms of ReplayGain. Setting the slider to +3dB works apparently fine when actually "normalizing" the track. However, it does not affect the value which is displayed when "analyzing" only.
For instance, when a track needs no change at all, because its loudness level is already 92 dB, "Normalize" would do nothing (correct), but "Analyze" still says "-3 dB" (wrong).
I'd expect "Analyze", too, to respect a changed "target level". Would it be very difficult to fix this?
Last edited by DJDemon on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:17 pm

DJDemon wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:37 pm
However, it does not affect the value which is displayed when "analyzing" only.
That's correct. When you select "Analyze" it shows you the amount of gain relative to "ReplayGain" 0 dB.

If you read through the history of this topic, you will see that the original version performed analysis only. The idea was that to achieve (approximately) equal loudness on multiple tracks, you would simply analyze the track and then apply the stated amount of gain using Audacity's "Amplify" effect.

If I understand correctly what you are asking for, you would need to change the final 6 lines to:

Code: Select all

(setq sign (if (> (- (- amp) RG) 0) "+" ""))
(if (> RG 70)
  (format nil "Error.~%Audio level too low.")
  (if (= action 0)
    (mult s2 (/ (db-to-linear amp)(db-to-linear (- RG))))
    (format nil "ReplayGain level: ~a~a dB.~%" sign (- (- amp) RG))))
Personally I find it easier the way it is, but you are welcome to modify your own version (that's the beauty of Nyquist plug-ins).
Note that to modify a Nyquist plug-in, you must use a "plain text" editor. Don't use NotePad or Word as they will mess up the code. On Windows I'd recommend NotePad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

DJDemon

Post by DJDemon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Works fine - THX !

PS: Did you intentionally change the sign, so that the actual loudness (relative to the "target" level) is displayed now, rather than the required correction? I find it quite logical this way!

AndroYD

Post by AndroYD » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:44 am

Help please! I need to apply ReplayGain to wave files that are minimum 4 hours long and maximum 33 hours long, when applying the effect I see the progress bar filling up and everything seems to be working fine, but it will fail midway at some % point and not apply the effect at all, get back to Audacity to the file exactly as it was before, I'm pretty sure my workstation have more than enough RAM for the task (64 GB), dunno why the operation fails.
It's very important that I apply this evenly to the entire length of the file, if I split it into different pieces, I must ensure that the effect it's exactly the same as if this was done in one single piece when I assemble them back together.