Chris Capel's Dynamic Compressor

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
bcdunkel
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Chris Capel's Dynamic Compressor

Post by bcdunkel » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:01 pm

I can't seem to get this plug-in to install on the latest version of Audacity. It's like it can't be seen. Copied file to the correct plug-ins folder but it doesn't appear anywhere.

Working on a Mac, which is pretty new to me, so maybe it's just something I am screwing up?

Any help would be appreciated.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:04 pm

bcdunkel wrote:Copied file to the correct plug-ins folder
What is the exact location that you copied it to?
On a Mac they need to be in:
~/Library/Application Support/audacity/Plug-Ins
where "~/" means your "home" directory.

If the plug-in is in the correct location, you should be able to see it listed in the plug-in manager (see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/mana ... yzers.html)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:24 pm

A note: When you run it, it doesn't say "Chris's Compressor!!!" It says "Compress dynamics". So it's easy to miss.

I run it at slightly different settings than factory. I change the first setting Compress ratio from default 0.5 to 0.77. It gives stiffer compression and matches almost exactly the local radio station.

Also there is a Bug Note. Make your show a little too long. Chris doesn't like running off the end of a performance, so it's best not to end the show too soon. I usually don't perform the last end edit, compress, and then cut off the extra.

These are three graphics of how it works. From top to bottom: original work, default and 0.77. Note the high peaks don't change all that much, but the low volume work gets a serious boost.

Any shortcomings will probably never be fixed because Chris reached "End of Life."

Koz

tkittich
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by tkittich » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:02 am

Hello,

I am new to Audacity and new to Chris's compressor too. I am looking for a way to properly normalize human voice so that the soft parts and loud parts appear to be more even. This compressor appears to do the job well. But I ran into a few problems.

1. 'Noise gate falloff' doesn't seem to work no matter how I set it. I've tried factor -2 and factor 10 and nothing seems to be different. Am I missing something?
2. Noise level at the beginning and end of the file seems to be greatly amplify after compression. Is there an easy way to fix this?

I am running Audacity 2.3.0 with Chris's compressor version 1.2.6 on a Windows 10 machine. Also, I am very new to sound processing. Is this compressor still the recommended way to even the volume? Is there an alternative that might work as well? I've tried the default Compressor and Limiter plug-ins but they don't seem to match the functionalities of Chris's compressor.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:15 pm

tkittich wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:02 am
1. 'Noise gate falloff'
I just leave that at the default setting.
tkittich wrote:
2. Noise level at the beginning and end of the file seems to be greatly amplify after compression. Is there an easy way to fix this?
It can sometimes help to add a bit of "padding" at the start / end of the track before applying the effect, then trim off the padding after.
Generating a couple of seconds of silence at each end should be sufficient.

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:09 pm

steve wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:15 pm
tkittich wrote:
It can sometimes help to add a bit of "padding" at the start / end of the track before applying the effect, then trim off the padding after.
Generating a couple of seconds of silence at each end should be sufficient.
Chris's compressor can't cope with more than 1/100th of a second of true silence :
it truncates when there is > 0.01 of true flat-line silence.

Padding with typical (non-silent) audio copied from the track is a workaround.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Trebor wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:09 pm
I don't see that with "compress-b1.ny" (from the first post of this topic).

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:04 pm

steve wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:42 pm
Trebor wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:09 pm
I don't see that with "compress-b1.ny" (from the first post of this topic).
Sorry : I thought it was about Chris Capel's original plugin, (which has problems with true silence).

theRamenNoodle
Operating System: Please select

Post by theRamenNoodle » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:16 am

I had found that if you adjust the hardness (I think—it's been a while), it wouldn't affect the silences much.

And for clarification, Chris's compressor does not truncate silence. That's something completely separate from compression.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 am

theRamenNoodle wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:16 am
And for clarification, Chris's compressor does not truncate silence. That's something completely separate from compression.
The old copy I have of Chris's compressor truncates accidentally if it encounters true-silence ...

Old version of Chris's Compression truncates if it encounters true silencei.gif
Old version of Chris's Compression truncates if it encounters true silencei.gif (124.21 KiB) Viewed 1116 times