Chris Capel's Dynamic Compressor

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Chris Capel's Dynamic Compressor

Post by kozikowski » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:26 am

headsets are rubbish
Gamer headsets are rubbish. Mine is trash. Also see noise cancelling aircraft microphones. This is an entertainment quality microphone bought and installed originally for a presentation similar to a TED talk or a show such as the Apple Conference or DefCon Hacker show.

You know it's the real thing because it plugs in like this...

And the more expensive ones have connections for a radiopack you wear on your butt. Entirely wireless.
getting back to the topic at hand
If you don't change the capture (microphone) system, then everything else you do is going to be confusing, ticklish, unstable, hard to use, poor quality recovery. We're only on forum chapter 5. The longest message thread in forum history is by Ian who only wanted to read audiobooks in his apartment in Hollywood. 39 chapters.

So we have a ways to go.

Koz

MarcusAurelius
Operating System: Please select

Post by MarcusAurelius » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:23 am

Have you tried Audacity's limiter as a last step before exporting?
No I haven't. I have read that it's (and noise gate as well even more so) kind of a brute force thing that could in some cases do more harm than good. I felt I lacked the finesse to use it appropriately.

I recorded a few videos where I used regular Audacity compressor and raised floor from -40db to -30db and so far I'm happy with it. Breathing is occasionally still there but reduced substantially. Might have to re-adjust eq though as a side effect was it made the recording more bass-y oddly enough.

Koz is right that my recording area is bad but I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons as moving is not currently an option.

Robert J. H.
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Robert J. H. » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:57 am

MarcusAurelius wrote:
Have you tried Audacity's limiter as a last step before exporting?
No I haven't. I have read that it's (and noise gate as well even more so) kind of a brute force thing that could in some cases do more harm than good. I felt I lacked the finesse to use it appropriately.

I recorded a few videos where I used regular Audacity compressor and raised floor from -40db to -30db and so far I'm happy with it. Breathing is occasionally still there but reduced substantially. Might have to re-adjust eq though as a side effect was it made the recording more bass-y oddly enough.

Koz is right that my recording area is bad but I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons as moving is not currently an option.
Our Limiter is very good, I think.
It is gentle enough to keep distortion at a minimum.
I would personally like to have a noise floor setting integrated with it but this would of course complicate the GUI.

The apparent increase of bass is presumably a pseudo acoustic phenomenon. Increasing the volume makes the bass more perceivable proportionally than the mids, i.e. the equal loudness curve gets flatter, that's my sensation at least.

It is always a good idea to apply a high pass filter (at 80 to 120 Hz approx) before the compressor.
Chris' latest version has an option for perceptual compression, it works at least with the highs (bass was still an open problem).

theRamenNoodle
Operating System: Please select

Post by theRamenNoodle » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Robert J. H. wrote:
theRamenNoodle wrote:"The guy" on https://theaudacitytopodcast.com/ is me, by the way. :)

I'm quite sure I did explain what the different settings were, especially in https://theaudacitytopodcast.com/tap005 ... eat-audio/.
Thanks Daniel for putting this right.
I was tempted to do it myself as I read about "the guy...".
Keep on doing great podcasts.

PS. As you're actually hosting the plug-in, is there any interest for improving it?
Nyquist plug-in integration has a bit improved over the last years and CC'Dc could benefit from some Version 4 features.
Especially the strange behaviour for selection beginnings (see Koz's comment above) is a major drawback.
Regards
Robert
Yes, I'd love to see it improved! I have moved onto Adobe Audition, but CDC is popular and I want people using a great tool Let me check on the license the software was originally released under and then talk to Chris's family about opening the source (if necessary). Feel free to email me so we can take this offline: feedback which is at TheAudacitytoPodcast.com .
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: make e-mail address slightly less obvious to harvesters

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:37 am

theRamenNoodle wrote:Let me check on the license the software was originally released under
Up to and including version 1.2.6, the plug-ins state:

Code: Select all

;;Authored by Chris Capel (http://pdf23ds.net)
;;All rights reserved
;;Permission granted for personal use, without redistribution.
Chris changed the license terms in version 1.2.7b1 (an unfinished experimental version):

;; http://pdf23ds.net/software/dynamic-compressor
;;Copyright (c) 2010 Chris Capel
;;Released under the MIT license. See line 77ish for details.

;;Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
;;of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
;;in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
;;to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
;;copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
;;furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

;;The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
;;all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

;;THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
;;IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
;;FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
;;AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
;;LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
;;OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
;;THE SOFTWARE.
This is version 1.2.7b1. Please note that it is an experimental, unfinished project. For production work I would recommend sticking with the 1.2.6 version, but this version has a permissive "free" license as detailed above.
Attachments
compress-1.2.7b1.ny
(18.93 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

peter7769
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by peter7769 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi
i was wondering if someone could help me, i'm using audacity 2.1.2 on windows 7 64 bit and im using Chris's compressor 1.2.6.

i used it for the first time the other night and as soon as i ran it i saw the wave form change and listened to the results and it was perfect, but ive tried using it again and although it goes through the sequence the wave form doesn't change once its completed, and the resulting file seems the same.

i am using it on a WAV file as its got 6 channel sound, does anyone have any ideas for me to try?, i have tried uinstalling and reinstalling but its still the same :( #

Thanks

Pete

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Chis famously doesn't like working with a sound track that starts with dead zero, flat line. When I'm cutting a show, I'll leave a little sound trash on the beginning to give Chris something to 'chew on'. After Chris finishes, I'll magnify my way in to the trash segment and cut it off or silence it. There's word that Chris doesn't like dead zero at the end, either, but jury's out on that one.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:47 pm

i have tried uinstalling and reinstalling but its still the same
Reinstalling Audacity doesn't reset audacity. In Windows, you can choose to reset audacity during the reinstall by ticking an option.

Koz

peter7769
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by peter7769 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks for the Advice, I carried out the reset when I reinstalled it, but still no joy.
But can someone explain what the debug button does exactly? I tried it on this particular track and it came back with error messages.

Pete.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:18 pm

The debug button is intended for use by plug-in developers to show debugging information.
A few plug-ins abuse / re-purpose the debug button as a means of providing additional information for users, though this is not common (and not recommended).

If you copy and paste the debug information in your reply, it may give us a clue as to the problem.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)