Chris Capel's Dynamic Compressor

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
theRamenNoodle
Operating System: Please select

Re: Chris Capel's Dynamic Compressor

Post by theRamenNoodle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Toning down the hardness often helps with this.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:07 am

theRamenNoodle wrote:Toning down the hardness often helps with this.
Version 1.1 doesn't have a "hardness" setting. Is the "Compress ratio" in 1.1 similar to "hardness" in 1.2.6?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:00 am

The early versions of Chris's Compressor had problems with leading and/or trailing words. The "Look-Ahead" system didn't understand beginnings and endings. He was aware of this problem. I don't have that problem with 1.2.6 -- that I can tell.
Koz

theRamenNoodle

Post by theRamenNoodle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:46 am

Gale Andrews wrote:
theRamenNoodle wrote:Toning down the hardness often helps with this.
Version 1.1 doesn't have a "hardness" setting. Is the "Compress ratio" in 1.1 similar to "hardness" in 1.2.6?

Gale
Download location for Chris's compressor version 1.2.6: Compress dynamics 1.2.6.
Last edited by theRamenNoodle on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link changed to specify download version number

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks for the link theRamenNoodle. I changed your description from "latest version" to "Compress dynamics 1.2.6" because Chris released version 1.2.7.b1 shortly before his death.

Chris's compressor 1.2.7.b1 is available here Chris's compressor 1.2.7.b1
This version is open source (MIT license). It includes some new experimental features on top of the previous 1.2.6 code that are not fully developed, so for most users the 1.2.6 version is probably better.

We don't host the 1.2.6 version as it is not open source and licensed "all rights reserved"*, so if anyone wants to polish up an open source version of Chris's compressor it should be derived from the 1.2.7.b1 code.

*The license terms of the 1.2.6 version:

Code: Select all

;;Authored by Chris Capel (http://pdf23ds.net)
;;All rights reserved
;;Permission granted for personal use, without redistribution.
I understand that "theaudacitytopodcast.com" (theRamenNoodle) has been granted rights to distribute.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

theRamenNoodle

Post by theRamenNoodle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 pm

steve wrote:Thanks for the link theRamenNoodle. I changed your description from "latest version" to "Compress dynamics 1.2.6" because Chris released version 1.2.7.b1 shortly before his death.

Chris's compressor 1.2.7.b1 is available here Chris's compressor 1.2.7.b1
This version is open source (MIT license). It includes some new experimental features on top of the previous 1.2.6 code that are not fully developed, so for most users the 1.2.6 version is probably better.

We don't host the 1.2.6 version as it is not open source and licensed "all rights reserved", so if anyone wants to polish up an open source version of Chris's compressor it should be derived from the 1.2.7.b1 code.
Chris's father transferred all of Chris's project, website, and notes to me for hosting on The Audacity to Podcast. So I can also add a link to the beta version and I'll host any updates that anyone wants to contribute.

MarcusAurelius

Post by MarcusAurelius » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:55 pm

So sorry to necro this thread after 3 years, but I didn't know where else to put this question.

I want to "upgrade" from the standard built-in Audacity compressor to this one but I am having trouble translating the settings.

Most compressors have a ratio of compression, like 1:2, 1:4, etc. This one however has a decimal. .8, .5. etc.

A straight mathematical translation doesn't seem to make sense to me, as I have seen recommendations for this plugin around .75-.8, but as a ratio that would be LESS than 1:2 (which would be .5) so I'm assuming the two methods can't be mathematically correlated.

I have seen success using about a 1:4 compression in my work. What would be the equivalent in this plugin?

Finally, a bit off topic, but I want to remove or reduce breathing noises but don't want something as clumsy as a noise gate. I currently have my noise floor in the regular Audacity compressor to -40. Would setting it to -35 or -30 (in either compressor) improve this without causing undue distortion? What would be the optimal settings for this in Chris' compressor?

Thank you!

theRamenNoodle

Post by theRamenNoodle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:42 pm

Did you go through the suggestions at https://theaudacitytopodcast.com/chris?

MarcusAurelius

Post by MarcusAurelius » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Yes I have. I saw that before coming here. That guy talks about the settings he uses but he doesn't explain anything from a technical standpoint and doesn't translate the settings to the standard Audacity compressor, which is the question I was asking.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:20 am

I don't think you can get easily from one set of tools to the other. The compressors and limiters started with the code, programming and development and worked down to sound. Chris started with opera in his car and worked up to code. They're very different tools.

I like to listen to an NPR radio production while hiking and I was fine when I was recording the off-air show from a receiver, but it was noisy with FM Stereo hiss. So now I download the podcast. The two performers have very different vocal styles and one in particular mumbles in his beer on occasion followed by a thermo-nuclear detonation laugh. It's impossible to listen to, IMHO. The FM radio transmitter compressors took care of that.

Chris to the rescue. His goal was to able to listen to wide volume range opera in the car with minimal distortion or damage, so the tool incorporates all the compressors, limiters and look-ahead processing needed to do that. I use it with the first value, Compression changed from 0.5 to 0.77 and the resulting personal sound player show is indistinguishable from the FM broadcast.

I know of no combination of individual effects tools, processing or settings which will do that. I have never found it desirable to change any of the other settings, but there is one gotcha in 1.2.6. It hates leading digital zero. So when I cut the show down for my iPod, I leave a half-second to one second of interstitial radio network voice messages at the beginning of the show and cut everything else to final. Then Chris Compress with the revised setting and when it's done, go back and slice off that half-second.

It's perfectly possible to run Chris with the original 0.5 value. The show will be looser with more expression and volume variation.

This is the original show, default Chris value of 0.5 and the revised setting of 0.77.

Koz