Automatic removal of mouth smacks

Using Nyquist scripts in Audacity.
Post and download new plug-ins.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Paul L
Operating System: Please select

Re: Automatic removal of mouth smacks

Post by Paul L » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:59 pm

I anticipate using this, if I do, with "short" selections of say 5 to 20 ms but that's not under 1000 samples.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Paul L wrote:if I do, with "short" selections of say 5 to 20 ms but that's not under 1000 samples.
That depends on the sample rate. At the default 44100 Hz, 1000 samples is about 23 ms.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:49 pm

You are right, I wrote that before thinking.

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:51 am

I have made many changes and I think my work is at another stage worth sharing. But I will start a new thread to make sure I get people's attention.

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:56 am

I followed up the suggestion to use iterations of eq-band in my experiments today. Just constant gains on each interval, and a crossfading envelope. Mostly very pleasant results, and speed is not bad.

May next try (1) broadening the fix interval a bit to each side of the identified click, (2) using variable gain, (3) overcorrecting the clicks so they are a little bit below the background.

jmrathbun

Post by jmrathbun » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Just for those who may be looking for some basic help, I find it easy (though tedious) to remove high-pitched noises like mouth clicks with the low-pass filter set to 6dB/octave and 1000Hz. For low-pitched noises, like when a puff of air hits the mic, try the same settings on the high-pass filter. Many wet consonants can be removed by amplifying -10dB. You'll soon be able to distinguish clicks from wet consonants by ear.

I usually set the beginning and end of my edit to a zero crossing and do as narrow an edit as possible. Too long an edit will substantially change the quality of sound remaining, which is hard to fix.

As you gain experience doing voice acting, you can learn to hear many of your own problems and overcome some with practice. Often an immediate retake will help more than any amount of editing.

Even with much practice, it still takes me ten minutes to get a minute of clean audio. It would be VERY HELPFUL if somebody would come up with a mouth noise filter that would remove just the clicks and rumbles! :D

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:24 pm

jmrathbun wrote:... It would be VERY HELPFUL if somebody would come up with a mouth noise filter that would remove just the clicks and rumbles! :D
In 2014 Paul-L made a filter for Audacity which removes clicks ... http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 8&p=245549

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:20 am

Trebor wrote:
jmrathbun wrote:... It would be VERY HELPFUL if somebody would come up with a mouth noise filter that would remove just the clicks and rumbles! :D
In 2014 Paul-L made a filter for Audacity which removes clicks ... http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 8&p=245549
Indeed I did.

But you ain't seen nothing until you have the spectral editing tools of version 2.1.0 in your kit too.

I invite jmrathbun to join the party over here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/AudacityVOUsersGroup/

jmrathbun

Post by jmrathbun » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks! I downloaded the .ny file and put it in the addons folder so I can see it on my effects menu. In a few minutes I'll try it out.

I applied for the suggested Facebook group and am awaiting approval.

jmrathbun

Post by jmrathbun » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Using the default settings, I 'declickered' five minutes of narration, which took about 2'15" to run. The amount of work needed for click removal was reduced about 90% with no obvious effect on audio quality otherwise. I will certainly find this add-on useful, and MUCH PRAISE for the dev!

:D