Subliminal Nyquist prompt

Using Nyquist scripts in Audacity.
Post and download new plug-ins.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Marcusabs
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Re: Subliminal Nyquist prompt

Post by Marcusabs » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:15 pm

It's not silent. It will damage your ears if you are not careful.

But lets take another example.

If I converted from 4000 Hz to 8000 Hz could I count on the same sound level? Would the decibel be the same?

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:39 pm

Marcusabs wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:15 pm
If I converted from 4000 Hz to 8000 Hz could I count on the same sound level? Would the decibel be the same?
What do you mean when you say "converted from 4000 Hz to 8000 Hz" ?

Assuming that you are still talking about modulation: The amplitude of the modulated signal depends on the amplitudes of both the modulator and the carrier, less any losses from filtering.

If I recall correctly, the "Silent Subliminal" plug-in that I wrote applies positive gain to compensate for some of the filtering losses, so that the output level is closer to the input level than it would otherwise be.
Learn more about Nyquist programming at audionyq.com

Marcusabs

Post by Marcusabs » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:31 pm

Thanks for your answers.

Here is an explanation for why subliminals work.

Basically, when we say the affirmations are inaudible, it means that the human ear cannot hear the frequency because the auditory hair cells in your ear that are responsible for processing (hearing) this pitch have become very insensitive (usually a result of aging).

This is where the confusion occurs because so many people are led to believe that the brain can't process something we can't hear, and that is very incorrect. Your ears are responsible for hearing noises, but it's the brain (auditory cortex) that's responsible for processing and decoding the information.

Sound is what we hear while the brain interprets it. You can totally not hear something and still interpret it on a subconscious level. This is how subliminals work. Just because you can't hear the affirmations does not mean it isn't being picked up by your brain. We know this because of the way sound waves work.

When you play the subliminal, you obviously won't be able to hear anything, but does that mean the affirmations are just not there? Of course not. The sound waves are still there, causing your eardrums to vibrate where your brain processes and decodes these vibrations. The only difference is that your ears aren't hearing it.

There are examples of this done through clinical trials where the brain was affected by a sound that exceeds even that of subliminals. That is evidence that sound can be picked up by the brain despite the ears not being capable of hearing it. This should debunk the "if you can't hear it then it's not going to your brain" statements.

TL;DR: Human hearing plays a completely different role when it comes to processing auditory sounds. It's the auditory cortex of the brain that decodes the sounds you hear. You can hear something but it's the brain that has to process what is being said. Because a subliminal can't be heard by your ears, it's imperceivable to the conscious mind, allowing the information to be processed on a subconscious level (beyond critical awareness).

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:48 am

Marcusabs wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:31 pm
the auditory hair cells in your ear that are responsible for processing (hearing) this pitch have become very insensitive
Yes. And because the hairs don't vibrate, they don't stimulate the mechanoreceptor, so the mechanoreceptor's afferent neurons do not produce a response, so no signal is sent to the brain, so there is no information for either the conscious or subconscious to react to.

However, "silent subliminals" can be an effective placebo - that has been illustrated through several well documented clinical trials, such as the study by Manuel Froufe  and Cecilia Schwartz, published in The Spanish Journal of Psychology , Volume 4 , Issue 1 , May 2001 , pp. 19 - 25.
Learn more about Nyquist programming at audionyq.com

Marcusabs

Post by Marcusabs » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:34 pm

Nåh that is not how it works. Theres a difference if thw hair cells produce "sound" or it will give information. Placebo cant give an ex back or influence others behavior etc. But I accept tour logical opinion