How I can upload an attachment ?

Suggestions and Questions About the Forum Web Site.
Forum rules
ImagePost here only if the Forum isn't working as you would like or expect.

If you require help using Audacity, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
bgravato
Forum Staff
Operating System: Please select

Re: How I can upload an attachment ?

Post by bgravato » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:23 am

stevethefiddle wrote:You're not going to get much video in the 1 (or is it 2) MB limit.
You might be wrong at that... hehe

I just recorded a video of audacity cursor moving, using theora codec. Only a few seconds, good quality, for about half MB :)
(posted here: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 60#p107060)

Nonetheless I agree that it's probably not worthy adding any video extensions to the allowed file types here... I was just wondering if there was any already active in the default file types or so...

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:07 am

bgravato wrote:You might be wrong at that... hehe
I just recorded a video of audacity cursor moving, using theora codec. Only a few seconds, good quality, for about half MB :)
I've just seen that. Such a cool little app :) recordmydesktop
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:14 pm

stevethefiddle wrote:You're not going to get much video in the 1 (or is it 2) MB limit.
Best thing for video is to upload it somewhere (such as YouTube) and post a link.
The global attachment limit is 1 MB. Could be 2 MB, but may mean we have to increase the disk quota allowed for attachments sooner rather than later.

No video formats were allowed, but I've now enabled .ogv.

Other possible video formats (not enabled) are

rm
wmv
* swf
* 3gp
m4v
* mov
mp4
qt

Might be worth allowing the asterisked ones (possible formats for short screen videos)?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

bgravato
Forum Staff

Post by bgravato » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:17 am

I see one important video extension missing: .avi :)

As for the allowed extensions... I'm happy with .ogv :D People making videos in that format probably know what they are doing and should not abuse on the disk space (also probably there won't be many ppl producing those videos anyway hehe)

Mac ppl will most likely produce videos in .mov

Not sure about windows users... maybe .wmv?

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:51 am

I'm not sure that adding video formats is such a good idea as
  • video attachments are rarely needed
  • I don't particularly want to see an influx of video spam
  • some video formats (such as wmv and mov) are capable of containing web links and viruses
  • the file extensions relate to the container format and not the codecs, so uploaded videos may or may not be viewable on other computers.
Anyone that is able to create an .ogv file is very likely to be able to put it on the internet and post a link (as has been done in the past), otherwise users can upload to YouTube (which solves problems with codecs and viruses).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

bgravato
Forum Staff

Post by bgravato » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:07 pm

When I asked about movie file extensions I was not requesting to enable them... I was just wondering if any was already active...

I tend to agree with Steve, video file extensions can probably be left out with no prejudice... The .ogv extension shouldn't cause any stress, so I see no harm in leaving it on the allowed extensions.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:50 pm

stevethefiddle wrote:I'm not sure that adding video formats is such a good idea ... users can upload to YouTube (which solves problems with codecs and viruses).
+1
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 am

stevethefiddle wrote:I'm not sure that adding video formats is such a good idea as
  • video attachments are rarely needed
  • I don't particularly want to see an influx of video spam
  • some video formats (such as wmv and mov) are capable of containing web links and viruses
  • the file extensions relate to the container format and not the codecs, so uploaded videos may or may not be viewable on other computers.
Anyone that is able to create an .ogv file is very likely to be able to put it on the internet and post a link (as has been done in the past), otherwise users can upload to YouTube (which solves problems with codecs and viruses).
I think if users were able to make a screen capture of a set of steps to reproduce a problem it "could" be quite helpful, and easier than YouTube if you don't already have/want an account.

I think .swf could be a more accessible format than .ogv but .swf has in the past allowed viruses so I'm just going to leave .ogv enabled I think. I don't think anything dangerous could execute on the server with the extensions we allow even if renamed to an allowed extension. The server should have a virus scanner on it AFAIK, but I'll ask Buanzo.
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual