Listing useful programs other than Audacity

Suggestions and Questions About the Forum Web Site.

ImagePost here only if the Forum isn't working as you would like or expect.

If you require help using Audacity, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Listing useful programs other than Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue May 25, 2010 3:19 pm

I think our objection to The Way Things Are is the impossibility of finding stuff and the assumption that it's the user's fault. Go back up this exact thread right now and count the number of different places y'all referenced -- without even working at it -- where handy tools and plugins are available. I know developers and heavy users are used to this kind of thing, but I'm here to tell you it's supremely awkward to casual users.

Remember the hoo-ha when the grand wiki index page vanished? Not good news. That was the right-brain search tool.

I have several personal pages where I list things I can never find when I'm looking for them. They're in no particular order but I know by pattern recognition exactly where everything is. I think I posted somewhere else that whenever somebody runs into a problem, their natural reaction is not "This is a job for C++ code!" It's more "I need to make the sound louder." The search is very different.

Developers are universally horrified at the idea of posting the same thing more than once. Let's surf over to the New York Times and count the number of different places the same article is posted -- we assume to make it easier to find.

I'm probably going to go off and do my own thing and see what turns up. I've already had several Sessions In The Shower thinking about this (some of my best work).

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue May 25, 2010 6:19 pm

A master list has to be categorised. There is no way it can list all useful VST plug-ins, all useful Nyquist plug-ins, all useful audio restoration programs, all useful drum machines, all useful MIDI programs, all useful analysis programs...

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue May 25, 2010 7:04 pm

There is a huge list of audio plug-ins on KVR.
This is their catalogue/database page: http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php

Current number of plug-ins listed on KVR = 4282

Narrowing it down a bit, 749 of them are free VST effects plug-ins for Windows.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Previous

Return to Maintaining / Improving this Forum