Post template

Suggestions and Questions About the Forum Web Site.
Forum rules
ImagePost here only if the Forum isn't working as you would like or expect.

If you require help using Audacity, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
jpcy
Operating System: Linux Mint

Post template

Post by jpcy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Hello,

Just a little thought...

Does anyone else think it would be useful to have a simple template, which new topics have, to prompt the OP so they don't forget any relevant information when posting?

It may also help to lend a modicum of consistency to the posts?

Best regards.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Post template

Post by steve » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:52 pm

That could be useful, but I don't think the forum software (phpBB) has that feature.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

jpcy
Operating System: Linux Mint

Post by jpcy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:47 pm

steve wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:52 pm
That could be useful, but I don't think the forum software (phpBB) has that feature.
Maybe not, but if phpBB is open source, it can ;)

(To be honest, I don't think a forum is the most appropriate solution to community support, but I don't think there is a decent community support solution available, yet. IMHO they're more geared towards chronicling a conversation than organising and streamlining a distributed and structured problem solving community. I think whatever solution takes over from forums could do with an initial post template - incorporating system info, issue background, etc, with some automatic data collection like versions, etc - and response templates as well as tagging and some other useful features.)

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:43 am

jpcy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:47 pm
but if phpBB is open source, it can ;)
Sure, but we're quite busy developing and supporting Audacity ;)

I thought the "tag cloud" system that Ubuntu support trialed a while back was an interesting idea. It didn't catch on, but it was interesting.

Personally I quite like the "Stack Exchange" Q&A system, although that software is not open source. There are some open source Q&A platforms, but I don't think any of them come close to the popularity of Stack Exchange.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)