Audacity 2.0.5 release candidate 2 available for testing

Forum-related announcements, polls, et al.
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Audacity 2.0.5 release candidate 2 available for testing

Post by Gale Andrews » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:07 am

Release Candidate 2 builds for the upcoming Audacity 2.0.5 release are now available for testing:
Please reply to this topic if you encounter any problems. The rc2 build above fixes a problem observed on some machines that Audacity did not come up on top of other windows when launched.

Can you help us test one specific question. If you start Audacity, then press Record immediately, can you record what you are trying to record, or do you record silence or is there an error? If there is silence or an error, does selecting the same input in Device Toolbar solve the problem? Note: If you are using "Windows WASAPI" host and there is not yet audio playing on the computer, the recording cursor may not move until the stream starts.

Gale
Last edited by steve on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: updated to rc2
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

Robert J. H.

Re: Audacity 2.0.5 release candidate 1 available for testing

Post by Robert J. H. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi Gayle,
The VST Dialog works great now, even navigating by letter works.
Wasapi records fine from speaker loopback (unless I choose a multichannel profile such as 5.1, this gives a device error, in playback mode too).
Digital loopback works with one card and with the other not (maybe only a settings' question).
Wasapi playback still cuts off the selection, i.e. not everything is played in normal mode, whereas it plays fine for overdub record and looped playback.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:42 am

Thanks for testing, Robert.
Robert J. H. wrote:Wasapi records fine from speaker loopback (unless I choose a multichannel profile such as 5.1, this gives a device error, in playback mode too).
Where are you choosing the multi-channel profile?

Can you set Audacity to record more than two channels in Preferences?
Robert J. H. wrote:Digital loopback works with one card and with the other not (maybe only a settings' question).
OK. By this, you mean you choose a digital output as the loopback device to record from? Is the problem "error opening sound device" with the card that fails? Do 44100 Hz settings everywhere help?
Robert J. H. wrote:Wasapi playback still cuts off the selection, i.e. not everything is played in normal mode, whereas it plays fine for overdub record and looped playback.
This is the bug where the selection is played minus the audio to buffer length?

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

Robert J. H.

Post by Robert J. H. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:43 am

Gale Andrews wrote:Thanks for testing, Robert.
Robert J. H. wrote:Wasapi records fine from speaker loopback (unless I choose a multichannel profile such as 5.1, this gives a device error, in playback mode too).

I've chosen the profile in the sound control panel of Windows. I've only tried with 2 channels yet. I didn't expect it to work anyway.
Gale Andrews wrote:
Robert J. H. wrote:Digital loopback works with one card and with the other not (maybe only a settings' question).
OK. By this, you mean you choose a digital output as the loopback device to record from? Is the problem "error opening sound device" with the card that fails? Do 44100 Hz settings everywhere help?
All was set to digital, input and output. Since all is equally played through the normal speaker line-out, I probably could as well have chosen speaker loop-back (for the usb multi channel card).
All is set to exclusive, so Audacity would send its default settings (44100).
At the latest test, both digital loop backs worked (internal and external card). The external card has drop-outs though (audio buffer 200 ms).
Gale Andrews wrote:
Robert J. H. wrote:Wasapi playback still cuts off the selection, i.e. not everything is played in normal mode, whereas it plays fine for overdub record and looped playback.
This is the bug where the selection is played minus the audio to buffer length?
Exactly.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Robert J. H. wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Thanks for testing, Robert.

I've chosen the profile in the sound control panel of Windows. I've only tried with 2 channels yet. I didn't expect it to work anyway.
Leland can record multi-channel loopback if he sets Recording Channels to the maximum channels.
Robert J. H. wrote:At the latest test, both digital loop backs worked (internal and external card). The external card has drop-outs though (audio buffer 200 ms).
Does the buffer setting make any difference? One of the bugs (or things that can't be changed) seems to be that the recording buffer is at a fixed length.

Gale

Robert J. H.

Post by Robert J. H. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Leland can record multi-channel loopback if he sets Recording Channels to the maximum channels.

It fails for playback in the first place - it gives a device error. Changing the channels alters nothing. There are at the moment only 2 speakers connected though.
However, the sound output works under Windows in general (e.g. screen reader, Foobar2000).
The playback works also by switching to WDS.
Gale Andrews wrote:
Robert J. H. wrote:At the latest test, both digital loop backs worked (internal and external card). The external card has drop-outs though (audio buffer 200 ms).
Does the buffer setting make any difference? One of the bugs (or things that can't be changed) seems to be that the recording buffer is at a fixed length.

Gale
You're right of course, we've already established this.
Normally, it should be caused by a different sample-rate, but it is already set to 44100 in all places and I get the same jumps with 2 or 1 channel input.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:00 am

Robert J. H. wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Leland can record multi-channel loopback if he sets Recording Channels to the maximum channels.

It fails for playback in the first place - it gives a device error. Changing the channels alters nothing. There are at the moment only 2 speakers connected though.
However, the sound output works under Windows in general (e.g. screen reader, Foobar2000).
OK which device or devices are they and if possible what driver or firmware versions do they have?

Gale

Syncopator
Operating System: Please select

Post by Syncopator » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Release Candidate 1 builds for the upcoming Audacity 2.0.5 release are now available for testing:

Can you help us test one specific question. If you start Audacity, then press Record immediately, can you record what you are trying to record, or do you record silence or is there an error? If there is silence or an error, does selecting the same input in Device Toolbar solve the problem?
Just downloaded the test version. It isn't recording. However, the device selection boxes are greyed out.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Syncopator wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Release Candidate 1 builds for the upcoming Audacity 2.0.5 release are now available for testing:

Can you help us test one specific question. If you start Audacity, then press Record immediately, can you record what you are trying to record, or do you record silence or is there an error? If there is silence or an error, does selecting the same input in Device Toolbar solve the problem?
Just downloaded the test version. It isn't recording. However, the device selection boxes are greyed out.
Have you pressed the "Stop" button?

Please try running the installer again, but half-way through the installer, check (tick) the box that says "Reset Preferences". When you start Audacity, say "yes" to resetting Preferences.

If you still cannot record, please tell us what you are trying to record, and exactly what happens when you try to do so. If there is an error message, please tell us exactly what it says. Also choose Help > Audio Device Info..., right-click in the "Audio Device Info" window, choose "Select All", then hold CTRL and press C to copy. Then paste that information into your reply.

Thanks.

Gale

Robert J. H.

Post by Robert J. H. » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
Robert J. H. wrote:

OK which device or devices are they and if possible what driver or firmware versions do they have?

Gale
The Usb multi-channel device supports only 48 kHz, hence the drop-outs. For the speaker aren't any sample rates listed for more channels than 2. The device driver dates from 2009. There's no newer one available on the C-Media website (just the same as on the CD).
The card is a Sweex SC016 7.1 USB,

Code: Select all

USB Multi-Channel Audio Device
Treiberanbieter: C-Media Inc.Treiberdatum: 14.05.2009Treiberversion: 6.12.8.2131Signaturgeber: C-Media Electronics Incorporation
(sorry, it's in German).