How to transpose track to 528Hz

Hi,
is there a way to transpose track to 528Hz using Audacity?
If yes, how can I do that?

528 Hz is a frequency. It means, something that repeats 528 times per second.
In music, tuning to a frequency means tuning one note of an instrument to that frequency. For example, if I tune my violin to 440 Hz, then I am tuning the A string so that when played it vibrates at a frequency of 440 oscillations per second, and would then tune the other strings so that they are in equal tempered tuningwith that “A” (thus “G” would be tuned to 196.00 Hz, “D” to 293.66 Hz and “E” to 659.25 Hz.

If your track has just one note, then yes you can tune it to any frequency you like, but if your track is “music” (lots of different notes), then can you say which note in that music it is that you want tuned to 528 Hz, or do you perhaps want all of the notes to be 528 Hz :confused:

I want to transpose a whole track but now I think it’s probably a bad idea.
I’m curious how they transpose their tracks to 528Hz.
I just wanted to do the same with my tracks.

They’ve probably either (a) speeded the music up by 0.909% or (b) “stretched” the pitch by 0.909% or (c) done nothing and are just saying that they’ve changed it. Most likely they’ve just used a DJ CD player that has speed/pitch controls and raised the pitch a bit.

To do (a), use the “Change Speed” effect and enter 0.909 as the “Percent Change”.
To do (b), use the “Sliding Time Scale / Pitch Shift” effect and enter 0.909 as the “Initial Pith Shift %” and “Final Pith Shift %”.
To do (c), tell someone that you have transposed it to 528 Hz.

What “528 tuning” really is, is playing music with instruments that are tuned so that “middle C” has a frequency of 528 Hz (and other notes tuned accordingly, as per this table: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreq444.html). For “real” (non-electronic) instruments, this is not quite the same as changing the pitch of a recording. For real instruments, changing the tuning affects the timbre of the instrument in ways that changing the pitch of a recording doesn’t. Solo instrumentalists will sometimes “detune” their instrument a bit higher or lower than A440 so as to achieve a different tonal quality (timbre).

Note that methods (a) and (b) assumes that the original recording plays with instruments tuned exactly to A 440, and assumes that the playback equipment plays at exactly the right speed.

Thanks steve for your help.

Hi Steve

i have done based on Your instruction but final truck is so high - voices are like from cartoon
regarding
To do (b), use the “Sliding Time Scale / Pitch Shift” effect and enter 0.909 as the “Initial Pith Shift %” and “Final Pith Shift %”.
Initial and finall has to be 0.909 ? i done both initial - final and initial 0.909 finla 0 and oposite still recording is to high

if there are online transposer for 528 hz how they converting to get 528 hz ?

i look forward to Your reply
GREG

This is a very old thread.

The reason that “Sliding Time Scale / Pitch Shift” was suggested was because it uses a time-stretch algorithm that generally gives better quality sound for small pitch changes than the old “Change Pitch” effect. This suggestion is now obsolete because the same “high quality” time stretch algorithm is available in the “Change Pitch” effect (a check box near the bottom of the interface).

Yes that is to be expected. As I wrote back in 2016; “For real instruments, changing the tuning affects the timbre of the instrument”
The same is true for voices, and is even more obvious with voices because human hearing is so highly attuned to the timbre of human voices.

The reason that audio recordings are normally played at the correct speed and pitch, is because in most cases they sound better that way. If it sounds better to you at a different speed or pitch, then by all means change it, otherwise, what’s the point in making it sound worse?

Hi Steve

thanks for Your reply i understand all Your point of view - for me is important to find software or way to transpose truck for 528 hz - i am looking for porgramer who can build aplicatin for this to transpose 440 hz for 528 hz to be hear normally as vocal pitch and other instrument

in my Logic Pro x i set A = 444 hz what automaticly should generate C 528 hz but its not working proper this way

lastly i transpose mp3 on some website for 528 hz it wasnt exact 528 but close

do You know any programmers what can make some applicatione like this ?
thanks
Greg

Antares Autotune is one of the best applications for pitch shifting vocals while maintaining a fairly natural timbre: https://www.antarestech.com/product/auto-tune-pro/ (list price $399)
Developing a similar product from scratch would be extremely expensive (tens of thousands of dollars).

Hello,

I’d like to know how this has been calculated:

To do (a), use the “Change Speed” effect and enter 0.909 as the “Percent Change”.

I guess this is based on original tuning 440Hz.

If I make the calculation:
440/444= 0.990990

Thank you

In “A 440” tuning, middle C (C5) is 523.25 Hz.

“Tuning to 528” usually means tuning so that C5 is 528 Hz (approximately the same as A 444)

From 523.25 to 528:
The amount that the frequency has changed is:
528 - 523.25 = 4.75

As a ratio, the amount it has change is:
(528 - 523.25) / 523.25 = 0.009077879

so as a percentage, that’s 100 * (528 - 523.25) / 523.25 = 0.907787864
so the correct answer to 3 decimal places is 0.908%
(I may have made a typo in 2016 :blush: )

Hello,

I want to change an mp3 audio which i don’t know the frequency into a 528Hz audio?
Hope it’s possible :slight_smile:

Best regards

Hello steve, can you help me if i don’t know the source frequency of my mp3 audio, how can i turn it into 528hz?

So, once the audio is in Audacity, select it with Ctrl+A. Then Effect > Pitch and Tempo > Change Pitch. Then skip past the Pitch section to the Frequency section. For “from”, enter 523.25; for “to”, enter 528. The percent change of 0.908 is automatically calculated for you. You may wish to use high-quality stretching. Click Apply.

Note that 523.25 is the frequency of C above “middle” C, which we are referencing: Google “musical scale frequency chart”.