walkie talkie/megaphone effect

Is there an effect in audacity to make speech sound as though it is going through a megaphone or walkie talkie? thanks in advance

Try the Equalizer effect. Try selecting the “amradio” setting.
You might also want to add a bit of Echo with a very short time delay.

If you use a harmonic generator to add 1 into every odd harmonic, that should work for you to emulate that roughness as well.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Plugins/Harmonic-Generator.shtml

Just replying to tell that combining these two solutions come pretty close to perfection. Setting the last harmonic (10th) to the left amplifies the roughness even more!

You are replying to a post that is over 7 years old. I doubt that the original poster will see your message.

During the past 7 years, Audacity has gained many new effects and abilities, including a Distortion effect (Distortion - Audacity Manual), which could be used to add high harmonics prior to Equalization and echo.
Audacity also now has a reverb effect which can add a sense of “distance” to the sound: Reverb - Audacity Manual

Although I didn’t notice the thread was so old, it was actually the only one that helped me out after looking around quite a bit (and I found it through Google, which thinks it’s still relevant apparently). I’ll take a look at the distortion effect, the other ones I’m familiar with.