Click/pop removal - ClickRepair software

Effects, Recipes, Interfacing with other software, etc.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Click/pop removal - ClickRepair software

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:58 am

The workload with ClickRepair is not really any longer than trying to use the Click Removal functionality in the integrated suite that is Audacity.

1) I capture in Audacity with Audacity set to 44.1kHz 32-bit float
2) Export the capture from Audacity to a 32-bit WAV (as ClickRepair works in 32-bit)
3) Process the WAV through ClickRepair
4) Import the repaired WAV back into Audacity
5) Further processing in Audacity (mainly intertrack cleanup and labelling)
7) Export a set of multiple WAVs at 44.1kHz 16-bit using triangular dither

One of the cute hidden features of Audacity is that it uses different settings for simple Export than it does for Export Multiple - so I can leave my default Export format to be 32bit and my default Export Multiple to be 16bit.

The other useful thing is that step 2 gives me a raw capture backup WAV and step 3 gives me a click repaired (rawish) capture WAV backup both at full 32-bit (CR provides non-destructive editing).

Don't forget that Brian lets you have a 21day free-trial of CR so just give it a try - it's what I did, and I bought it on the second day of use!
And remember your initial purchase entitles you to all of Brian's future upgrades to CR.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Click/pop removal - ClickRepair software

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:37 am

Shaky wrote:Speaking of which . . .WC, if ClickRepair needs 32bit .wav files I’m afraid that pretty much rules it out since I have an existing backlog of almost 40Gb in 16bit format waiting for a light scrub. Is that a major issue? Can anybody comment on the quality differences between 16bit and 32bit file processing?

Ok I should have been a little clearer - ClikRepair will work fine with 16-bit WAV files, I used to use those with CR until I read Brian's manual more thoroughly.

What I should have said is that CR will work with 32-bit float input files. If you feed CR a 32-bit file it will output a 32-bit file, a 16-bit input file will yield a 16-bit file.

But AFIK CR always works internally at 32-bit (well actually technically 24-bit plus 8-bit mantissa) so if you feed it a 16 bit file it will upsample on input and downsample on output. Which is why, as I am working with Audacity set at its default 32-bit, that I prefer to stick with straight 32-bit in and out of CR.

But since you already have a ton of existing 16-bit WAV files CR would be fine for giving them a light scrub (and note from earlier in this thread that I lighten the scrub that CR applies - I found Brian's initial defaults a little harsh).

To save the re-read, my CR personal defaults for LPs are: De-Click=30, De-Crackle=off, Pitch Protection=on, Reverse=on, Method=Wavelet, Automatic=All

And note that CR let's you save you own presets like that (use the "Custom..." from the drop-down at the bottom left of the CR window to save a named pre-set of any current settings

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Previous

Return to Audio Processing