Key finding?

Effects, Recipes, Interfacing with other software, etc.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Nacoran
Operating System: Please select

Key finding?

Post by Nacoran » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:39 pm

I haven't found any way to find the key of a song in Audacity. It would be really useful for putting together mixes and adding more parts from other sources.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Key finding?

Post by steve » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:23 am

Audacity can not tell you the key of a song. In fact, I don't know of any program that can. To know the key of a song you need to know about the harmonic structure of a song. You can not work out the key of a song from signal notes, or even single chords. You need to know how the chords fit together.

You can find the pitch of prominent frequencies in a section of audio with the "Plot Spectrum" tool in the "Analyze" menu.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Nacoran
Operating System: Please select

Post by Nacoran » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 pm

I found a plug-in for Windows Media Player called Muse-On that does a pretty good job of finding the key. Obviously, some music has accidentals, and C Major has the same notes as A minor etc., and you need to have enough notes to rule out some keys, but this plug-in does a pretty good job. It's great for grabbing the right key to play along with with a harmonica. Basically, if you have something that identifies the pitch it's just a matter of eliminating keys it's not until you have either the key it's in or a key it works in.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:01 pm

zimou13 wrote:What kind of example might that be?
Sometimes even people with loads of theory find it hard to agree on keys, even for "simple" tunes like Greensleeves.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)