Can i normalise 2 different audio levels

just a bit of a noob question,

We have been using audacity for our recording and editing of our podcast gaming show…

simple questions guys , as I have been in charge of editing for the past few shows, and i have a simple question that I hope you can help me with,
obviously when we record our individual audio tracks off skype, using audacity, when it comes to the editing part we end up with all different levels of audio, some quite , some loud…you get the idea.

well I was wondering is there a simple 1 button (or few button) press that would normalise all my individual audio tracks to all be at the same level, before i begin my editing.

Just that sometimes our audio is so far out sometimes, loud/quite it can sound pretty poor some weeks,

so any help guys would really be appreciated.

Just that sometimes our audio is so far out sometimes, loud/quite it can sound pretty poor some weeks

How are you recording Skype? Some Skype voice processing can be super sensitive to musical tones or just plain music. It will drive its noise filtering nuts and could make the voice pump.

There is a LevelSpeech plugin and a plain RMS Normalize used with audiobooks that have to maintain accurate loudness.

If the volumes are changing through the course of the show, there’s always Chris’s Compressor.

Chris has one bug. It’s a look-ahead processor and doesn’t like running off the end of the track. So either put additional sound on the end of the track or leave trash on there just to give Chris something to chew on.

I use it to compress a podcast with wildly changing volumes. When Chris gets done it sounds like the well-behaved broadcast version.
Chris is unlikely to fix the bug. Chris reached end-of-life.

Koz

Don’t forget I asked how you were recording Skype.
Koz