Consider Sony Discman MegaBass to improve CD Music in Audacity..

Effects, Recipes, Interfacing with other software, etc.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Consider Sony Discman MegaBass to improve CD Music in Audacity..

Post by Trebor » Thu May 12, 2022 2:55 am

Tim Lookingbill wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 pm
Not only don't you speak Mac but you seem to not be aware Audacity as host app for these 64bit VST's needs to be 64 bit according to a search on compatibility ...
Audacity 3-1-3  for macOS is now a 64-bit application.png
Audacity 3-1-3 for macOS is now a 64-bit application.png (5.33 KiB) Viewed 195 times

Tim Lookingbill
Operating System: OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or earlier

Post by Tim Lookingbill » Fri May 13, 2022 9:53 pm

What Mac OS version must I have for Audacity to be compatible for all that to work? I believe Audacity 3.1.3 requires I upgrade my OS which is not an option at this time.

I'm still in Mac OS 10.6.8 with Audacity 2.2.2. Everything works just fine with the current VST's and AU plugins I have at I'm assuming 32bit. I believe LaPetite Excite will work with my current setup because it is 32 bit. Correct?

This Youtube demo of La Petite Excite is a better fit for my needs so I'll go with that hoping it doesn't need 64 bit upgrade of Audacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xblh38oQoLg

Also some further tests with Discman Mega Bass indicates to me it's really just boosting low end bass and overall volume going by the amount of clipping recording the feed through Quicktime and checking the saved waveform in Audacity. That was what was fooling me into thinking it was doing something with the highs individually also the Discman volume control acts as a gain control on the final waveform. The La Petite Excite YouTube demo posted above backs that up.

Thanks for getting back on this.

Correction: 64 bit Audacity 3.1.3 requires Mac OS 10.7.x and up. So that option is out.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Fri May 13, 2022 10:22 pm

Tim Lookingbill wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:53 pm
I believe LaPetite Excite will work with my current setup because it is 32 bit. Correct?
LaPetiteExcite is available in 32 & 64 bit, PC & Mac.
I use the 32-bit version in Windows, (I don't know how plug-ins work in Macs).
Attachments
LaPetiteExcite Manual.pdf
(554.36 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Paul2
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by Paul2 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:10 pm

Trebor wrote:
I use the 32-bit version in Windows, (I don't know how plug-ins work in Macs).
Mac uses the .au (Audio Units) standard and also VSTs (and LADSPA) provided they have been compiled for the Mac.
By default, they will be 64 bit.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Mon May 16, 2022 8:38 pm

Paul2 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:10 pm
Mac uses the .au (Audio Units) standard and also VSTs (and LADSPA) provided they have been compiled for the Mac.
By default, they will be 64 bit.
The Mac OS & expander plugins mentioned in this thread are a about decade old.
Tim Lookingbill wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:53 pm
I'm still in Mac OS 10.6.8 with Audacity 2.2.2. Everything works just fine with the current VST's and AU plugins I have at I'm assuming 32bit.

Paul2

Post by Paul2 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:04 pm

If I'm not mistaken, if the AU plugins are "universal binaries", then they include both the 32 and 64 bit versions.
Some of these binaries, even include both the Motorolla and X86 compiled versions.

From Apple:
mac.PNG
mac.PNG (6.06 KiB) Viewed 90 times
So with the above in mind and using the universal binaries, Audacity should see the plugins.
Just remember that MacOS is very picky as to where you put them.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue May 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Paul2 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:04 pm
From Apple:
That was true up to and including macOS Mojave.
32-bit support was dropped in macOS 10.15 Catalina.
Learn more about Nyquist programming at audionyq.com

Paul2

Post by Paul2 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:49 pm

You are correct Steve, however, Tim Lookingbill is still using a much older version, so it will apply.

From his post:
I'm still in Mac OS 10.6.8 with Audacity 2.2.2.

Tim Lookingbill
Operating System: OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or earlier

Post by Tim Lookingbill » Wed May 18, 2022 7:04 pm

Thanks for the 32 vs 64 bit info for Mac OS. It seems it wouldn't be too difficult to at least upgrade my Mac OS from 10.6.8 to the required 10.7 so I can upgrade to Audacity 3.1.3 for 64 bit compatibility but I'm concerned about what would break in Audacity.

I mostly use just a few AU plugins that were a Garageband install, quite a few show up in Audacity's Plugin Manager listings "not enabled" but I"ve noticed when enabling these in 2.2.2 they don't work anyway. The ones that do work and provide live playback editing are AUmatrixReverb and AU Graphic EQ. I sometimes use Audacity's Noise Reduction plugin which works very well.

The only VST I installed in older Audacity builds that works very well and in live playback is an old Beta version of W1 Limiter that will never get an update because it was created as a personal student project by a computer science graduate. It works VERY well in testing loudness sound quality after an EQ edit.

Overall it seems a high risk to do all this upgrading just so I can get one specialty "Excite" Expander plugin to work. I don't plan on using Audacity to do major editing, just sweetening the sound quality of CD music and downloaded music that need work.