Sound Card Reviews

Did you buy a new mixer? Do you need advice? Post here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Pobinr
Operating System: Please select

Re: Sound Card Reviews

Post by Pobinr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Does anyone know if any of these sound cards output the signal onto CH1&2 in Audacity when using spdif into them ?

I'm using a focusrite saffire pro 14 & the signal appears on CH 5&6 in Audacity !

cyrano
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by cyrano » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:17 pm

That kind of interface will be very hard to find these days.

When audio interfaces were new and expensive, some of the simpler 2 in, 2 out interfaces had that kind of setup. Default would be analog 1 & 2 in. A switch would permit to choose the extra spdif. Sometimes the switch would be automatic.

These days, if there still is spdif in, it's mostly on 8 channel interfaces and the spdif is 7&8, or, more likely, 9&10.

Some ASIO driver/setup software permits routing to other channels, even mixing and doing stuff like loopback routing. But again, that's on 8 channel boxes.

There used to be some four in, four out boxes, like the one you have currently. But it seems nobody makes these anymore, as for a few bucks more, you'll get 8 channels. And some people need 8 channels for drum recording only...

Pobinr

Post by Pobinr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:54 pm

Would be good if Audacity were to make remapping of inputs possible

cyrano
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by cyrano » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:40 am

Stupid farmer's trick:

Record 6 channels, discard the first four after recording?

Pobinr

Post by Pobinr » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Yes of course one can do that. Just a bit of a faff that's all

KeithLatham
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by KeithLatham » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 am

Model: Vincent PHO 701

Summary: Audiophile Quality Phono Pre-Amp.
==> (From Audioadvisor.com) Vincent Audio’s two-chassis PHO-701 MM/MC phono preamp improves upon the best-selling PHO-700 with two great new features. First, it offers a USB output, allowing you to archive your vinyl tracks to your computer using easily available software you’ll find on the Web, including free Audacity software.

Manufacturer's Websites:

==> Home https://www.vincent-tac.de/en/home.html
==> Product Sheet: https://www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-l ... o-701.html
==> Product Manual: https://www.vincent-tac.de/fileadmin/pd ... _EN_FR.pdf

Ins and outs:
==> Inputs: 1 x Stereo RCA
==> Outputs: 1 x Stereo RCA
==> Computer connection: USB

Pros:
==> Product Manual recommends Audacity
==> USB works 'plug and play'. Audacity detected the input and defaulted to 'MME' and 'Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)' and it just worked.

Cons:
==> The supplied USB cable (USB-A on the computer side and USB-B on the pre-amp side) is ridiculously short (1 meter) for this application. OK, if you are using a laptop you can move your computer to within 1 meter of the pre-amp maybe, but less likely a desktop. I substituted a previously unused 2 meter USB-A/USB-B cable from a printer - it works fine. If you don't already have one they are pretty inexpensive.
==> The documentation says the USB output is 'CD quality' - which I guess means that it is Project rate is limited to 44100. If you are going to cut MP3's that is fine, but if you want higher quality, you would need to use the analog outputs as line-level input to some other audio interface. I use the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which also works well (which I will also review).

KeithLatham

Post by KeithLatham » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 am

Model: FocusRite Scarlett 2i2

Summary: "This is Focusrite's compact yet versatile 2-in, 2-out USB audio interface".
==> Note: I have been using this with Audacity on Windows 10 for over a year with absolutely zero issues after setup. But since it has been so long since installation, I cannot really remember what setup problems I had (but see 'Cons' below).

Manufacturer's Websites:
==> Home https://focusrite.com/
==> Product Sheet: https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfa ... arlett-2i2
==> Product Manual: PDF Download available from link on Product Sheet

Ins and outs:

==> Inputs: 2 x mono instrument jacks (line level)
==> Outputs: 2 x mono instrument jacks (line level); Headphone Jack
==> Computer connection: USB

Pros:
==> Supported Sample Rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz
==> USB works 'plug and play'. Audacity detects the input as 'FocusRite USB'
==> "Works flawlessly with all major DAWs on Windows and Mac" (including Audacity)

Cons:
==> I remember having to fumble around a bit to get the Windows 10 mixer set to the correct audio device - but I suspect that was because I had previously been using an internal audio card (M-Delta) that is no longer supported (or rather support had to be restored every time Windows applied an update).
==> I remember having a bit of doubt that the channel input gain was balanced because each channel has its own separate gain control. To test, I used a signal generator on a phone and plugged it into Audacity and compared. The balance was just right whenever the two channel controls were set at the same setting.

Amarillo

Post by Amarillo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:21 am

Here is my review about Creative SB X-Fi Surround 5.1
http://leomus.ru/blog/sound-card-creative-sb-x-fi-surround-5.1
In my opinion, early SB cards were more clearly and good sounding devices, compared to new devices like X-Fi and HD series. I found some cliping and noises while music playing from Yandex Music.
Good sound to everyone!

Known
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

Re: Zoom, Zoom, Zoom

Post by Known » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Sun May 24, 2009 5:41 am
No, not the Mazda product, and this strictly isn't a sound card, but a stunning number of people are using the Zoom recorders to capture live performances.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/

I know a number of audio and production types that are using an H2 or H4 daily. Nobody is putting an H4 in a dusty box in the garage. Several of them have achieved Successful Equipment Status. That is, there's no paint on them, you can't read the knobs any more, and they're always out in the field doing capture jobs.

Koz
I was searching the forum for an issue I encountered when recording live for the first time to my computer (2012 MacBook Pro, MacOS Mojave 10.4) using Zoom H2N as mic with USB interface and Audacity. Then I saw this review about Zoom H2 and wanted to report the issue and see what others have to say:

The recording comes out with about + 5% shift in pitch and may be slightly higher speed also. Cannot be too sure about the speed because it is so slight. I am able to make it sound almost original my reducing just the pitch but that is annoying. Being an EE, I feel there is a clock frequency mismatch between H2 and the codec on the MacBook. BTW, both Audacity and H2 are set for 44.1KHz. Recording on to a SIM card in H2 and then transferring to computer works fine but I want to avoid the extra step and also for the convenience of recording multiple tracks etc.

I have tons of tapes that I want to transfer to computer using H2 and Audacity but that project also has the same issue.

I wonder if this has been observed before and what solution was recommended.

Thanks much in advance!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Known wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 pm
Being an EE, I feel there is a clock frequency mismatch between H2 and the codec on the MacBook.
Yes that's possible, though I've not noticed any speed problems with my H2.

If that's the case, then I would expect the problem to also occur if you record onto a flash card in the H2. This could be useful for testing whether it's the Mac, the Zoom, or both that are a bit out. The digital recording on the flash card can be copied to any number of computers / MP3 players / audio CD / ...
I think it would be worth testing such a recording by playing on multiple devices to see how much variation in speed there is on different devices.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)