Sound Card Reviews

Did you buy a new mixer? Do you need advice? Post here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Known
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

Re: Sound Card Reviews

Post by Known » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:07 pm

If that's the case, then I would expect the problem to also occur if you record onto a flash card in the H2. This could be useful for testing whether it's the Mac, the Zoom, or both that are a bit out. The digital recording on the flash card can be copied to any number of computers / MP3 players / audio CD / ...
I think it would be worth testing such a recording by playing on multiple devices to see how much variation in speed there is on different devices.
Steve, Thanks for your suggestion.

Let me explain more what I said in the original posting. I have recorded many times in the past (live or through line input) onto SD card inserted in the H2N, transferred the file to mac and then used Audacity for editing. That works fine without any pitch shift I am talking about. That makes sense because there is no sound card clock frequency clash when a digital file (.wav or mp3) is transferred from SD card to mac.

However this time I was trying to use H2N as a USB mic and record directly onto mac using Audacity program. This way I avoid the extra step of file transfers from SD card to mac. This is when I noticed the pitch shift in the recording. Here I see a frequency clash between H2n sound card vs mac sound card.

The same issue occurs when I use H2N as the USB interface and instead of using the built in mic of H2N, I give line input to H2N.

Again, I am looking to see if this has been observed before and how it was handled.

Thanks much!
Last edited by steve on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote tags

Known
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

Post by Known » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:17 am

It turns out this problem had been reported before many years ago. But then recently a solution was posted by GKo:
GKo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:28 am
Solved.Switched the Zoom and Audacity to 48k sampling rate and problem solved.
I tried the same thing. i.e. switched both Zoom H2N and Audacity to 48KHz sampling rate and the problem of pitch shift went away!

Thanks to GKo!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:28 am

Known wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:17 am
I tried the same thing. i.e. switched both Zoom H2N and Audacity to 48KHz sampling rate and the problem of pitch shift went away!
Is this issue specific to Macs? (I've used a Zoom H2 as a USB mic with Linux and had no problem recording at 44100 Hz)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)