Recording equipment for voice

Did you buy a new mixer? Do you need advice? Post here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
friday jones
Operating System: Please select

Re: Recording equipment for voice

Post by friday jones » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:39 am

The mixer was really cheap ($5 at a garage sale)because it was a very old used mixer that was small to begin with. It was originally sold at Radio Shack, in the Eighties I believe. The pre-amp I got at a local music store called "Starving Musicians" for $40, it's a tube pre-amp designed to plug instruments like guitars into a mixer.

But nowadays you can go to Guitar Center and spend about $45 to buy a small 8-input mixer with two microphone inputs with built-in pre-amps and get very similar results. I might get a bit better sound from my pre-amp, but you could plug a tube pre-amp into one of the non-amplified inputs on a modern small mixer to get the exact same result. I'd recommend checking it out at your local Guitar Center, it's in the "Live Sound" department behind the DJ equipment area and next to the keyboards area. They have some really huge fancy mixing boards, but if you look around you can find the little ones that are much less expensive.

greggruiz

Post by greggruiz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:43 am

so what is the best to use when you are aiming for best qualiyy audio?

Tapehead

Post by Tapehead » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:12 am

I'm just after passable quality for singing when travelling with my notebook
(1.66 ghz, 2 mb ram)

What's the consensus on headset usb mics? under £50 UK.

What are the ones you reviewed like for singing Koz. Nothing forceful I have a fairly mellow laid back voice.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 am

What are the ones you reviewed like for singing Koz.
I only have one USB headset and I wouldn't try to force music through it. Attached.

This is what I normally sound like.
http://www.kozco.com/tech/LRMonoPhase4.wav

Koz
Attachments
LogitechHeadsetMicrophone.mp3
(325.71 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 am

My portable machines were chosen for reasonable built-in microphone performance. But if pressed, I'd probably go with a tiny USB adapter like this ICUSBAUDIO and instead of using this telephone microphone, plug in a Radio Shack 3013.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/olym ... Blowup.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2102927

The microphone has its own little watch battery inside and so isn't subject to some of the noise problems of other systems. I think I got enough stuff to do a mic check.

The whole thing would fit in your wallet.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:03 am

That didn't go as well as planned. Two attachments, one with a Radio Shack 3013 microphone into a C-Media ICUSBAUDIO, and the other an adapted 3013 plugged into a Shure X2U USB digitizer.

It seems the ICUSBAUDIO suffers from the mosquito whine that plagues USB microphone systems. (clip 1) Two different USB adapters do it.

The Shure isn't fooling around. It's a full-on, Phantom Power, microphone adapter with local monitoring. It's one of the devices I used for the overdub testing. It doesn't whine, but it's much larger and heavier and unless you want to solder your own cables, only works with XLR microphones. So this is not going to fit in your wallet. (clip 2)

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/ ... verdub.jpg

The up side is if you already have an XLR microphone you like, this is right down your alley. Certified for sound-on-sound overdubbing.

Koz
Attachments
TieTackMicrophone.mp3
(800.82 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
ShureX2U.mp3
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 137 times

Tapehead

Post by Tapehead » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:47 pm

That Shure looks good but the Amazon uk price is virtually double the best dot com price $99 v the sterling equivalent of $204.

The USA price is approx £60 - the UK £125.

This is par for the course. Plus I don't have an XLR mic

Thanks for your reviews Koz,

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:06 pm

The ICUSBAUDIO isn't necessarily bad, it's unstable. I use them on another computer with no USB cable and it works every day with no noise. We used them at work with no apparent problems. We know from other posts that you can change the environment and get the whine to come and go. Many lower end USB microphones have this problem. A combination of ratty USB management in the computer and bad or no filtering and regulation in the microphone or adapter build on each other.

Line level adapters like the UCA202 tend to be immune to this. The combination of "USB" and "Microphone" in the same sentence that is the recipe.

Koz

Tapehead

Post by Tapehead » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:21 pm

My first post here was about transferring cassette to laptop via usb, I bought a uca202 on your recommendation. It worked well.

What affordable mic with headphone monitoring could I plug into it? Would I need anything else (bearing in mind it has to be portable)?

I was looking at a Zoom H1 portable recorder for vocals but UK price is £20
over my budget.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:09 pm

What affordable mic with headphone monitoring could I plug into it?
The UCA202 supports a headphone plugged into the side. It has no provision for a microphone.

You're in the sweet spot where pro equipment is petering out and bargain-basement sound equipment isn't good or stable enough. I'm testing USB Thumb Drive sized mini-recorders and while they're OK for emergencies, they're far too noisy for any kind of real recording. I'm looking for a replacement for my micro-cassette recorder. Still the champ.

Some cellphones will allow you to plug microphones in. My iPod has a personal recorder and it's in the list of things for me to test for free-form audio recording. Gale found an audio adapter that lets me plug a third-party analog microphone in. No results yet. Ummmmmm. Here it is. Startech.com Audio Cable MUYHSMFF. It breaks a headset connection out to separate microphone and headphone. The intent is to see if I can get it to work with a simple microphone like the Radio Shack 3013.

The H series of Zoom recorders is really very good. My impression is of an audio recorder that's not trying to be anything else. I have an H4 which has some First Generation problems (like no time and date) but it records very well.

This is Josh Turner (the other one) performing on an older H2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5SC1uIxXhk

Koz