Recording equipment for voice

Did you buy a new mixer? Do you need advice? Post here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Dman883
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Recording equipment for voice

Post by Dman883 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:16 am

I won't use a new mic on the book I'm currently producing. I've done so many damn retakes... Koz, so you're saying the sm58 would make my life a lot easier when it comes to recording with the sm58 or other dynamic mic and still sound good? (as good as I can produce anyway)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:12 am

I've done so many damn retakes...
Because......?

I would never make this work because I have a flat, featureless voice and I write in sentences longer than I can [gasp] breathe.

I'm saying it should be possible to borrow or rent one before you pop for the $100 and shipping.

There's another directions, too. I have a GLS Audio, ES-58 (no switch).

https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Vocal- ... B000RKVH0K

As near as I could tell, It's a good knockoff for the Shure Brothers. I actually did a hot comparison and I should still have it here somewhere. I remember one difference is slightly higher volume than the SM58.

Koz

Dman883
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Dman883 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 am

The more I learn about post processing and the more I improve my performance the more obsessive I get with getting it perfect. It was mouth noises before. Now I've figured out how to avoid or clean out most all of those. This is my first attempt at recording, so it's been a lot of trial and error. This knockoff mic looks like a good deal to try out a dynamic mic. Read a good blog on it. Thanks!

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 am

the more obsessive I get with getting it perfect.
There comes a time when you have to shoot the engineer and finish the show.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Found it.

It's an uncompressed stereo WAV with a real Shure SM58 on the left and the GLS knock-off on the right. They're mounted next to each other on a mic stand.

Pull it down, open in Audacity. Use the drop-down menu on the left > Split to Mono. That will give you two independent tracks that you can MUTE and SOLO to listen to one at a time. Near as I could tell, the only difference was slightly higher volume on the GLS. I don't think the volume difference was the mixer any more. I think the microphone just is slightly hotter.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/clip ... 17-cut.wav

It's cut down from the original because the original had some accidental overload damage.

The fake white noise is me crumpling a sheet of New York Times. That works remarkably well to test lumps and bumps in the tonal response system in the absence of a real noise generator and calibrated room. In this case, since the room sucked, the goal is to just compare them.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:31 pm

That's what I thought. There's no significant difference between them except for about a 3dB volume bump for the GLS. I couldn't find any significant difference in real life, either.

Shure.png
Shure.png (59.02 KiB) Viewed 671 times

GLS.png
GLS.png (56.28 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Read a good blog on it
Post the blog. Remember this isn't a help desk, it's a forum with users sharing.

Koz