Multi-channel Recording in Audacity

Did you buy a new mixer? Do you need advice? Post here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Multi-channel Recording in Audacity

Post by steve » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Multitrack on a Budget, TASCAM US-1800: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 81#p199981
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

n0ukf
Operating System: Please select

Post by n0ukf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:51 pm

bgravato wrote:Audacity can only record from 1 device at a time. So if you have to select two different devices for recording all that you want you won't to be able to do it with audacity.
Will multi-device recording eventually become an Audacity feature?

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 am

n0ukf wrote:Will multi-device recording eventually become an Audacity feature?
It is possible to record from multiple devices simultaneously with Audacity by using a "virtual" device between Audacity and the real hardware devices.
On Mac OS X this can be done by creating an "aggregate device". On Linux it can be done in several ways including creating an aggregate device, or attaching multiple devices to Jack Audio System and routing them all through a virtual mixer. On Windows it "may" be possible to record from multiple devices using VAC though I'd not expect that to work very well due to the relatively poor performance of Windows audio drivers.

One of the Audacity developers has recently been working on supporting the new WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API). This should provide much improved efficiency for the Windows sound system, though sadly Windows still provides few tools to assist users in creating advanced signal routing so it may still not be easy to achieve on Windows.

ebisumartin
Operating System: Please select

Post by ebisumartin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:56 am

I was advised over on another thread to come to this one and provide some input about how the Alesis iO4 works with Audacity. At least, how it works with Audacity on Ubuntu 12.10.

It works well enough. My goal is to record podcasts with my laptop and have the option of using up to 4 different microphones, and this enables that. With the XLR mike inputs and direct USB connection, one gets a reasonably clean sound. When the iO4 is plugged in, it shows up as an option in the Audacity interface, so one can select it and start recording without needing to make any changes in Ubuntu's sound settings.

There are caveats, though.

The first is that the iO4 must be plugged in before you boot your computer. All my experience is that hotplugging simply does not work.

The second, and in my mind a significant caveat, is that the input volume is quiet. To record a person speaking at a standard voice level, neither whispering nor shouting, I have to crank the gain on the iO4 for each mike to maximum. Cranking up the input volume in Ubuntu's sound settings or within Audacity has little or no apparent effect. If you lower any gain or input volume settings, you can reduce the recording volume. To get a decent response, though, just about every setting at every step of the way has to be maxed out.

It would be ideal if something could be adjusted or fixed so that one could get a range of volume when recording with the iO4, because people need to project into the microphones to a degree that impacts their ability to naturally speak freely.

Bottom line is that it works, and I am managing, but if the volume issue were resolved, it would be the ideal recording device for podcasters on the go like me.

steve
Site Admin

MOTU Traveller firewire/USB

Post by steve » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 am

MOTU Traveller firewire/USB
Reported to work for multi-channel recording on Mac OS X
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 08#p237708

boss96
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by boss96 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Tascam 16x08 works for 16 individual tracks.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:17 pm

boss96 wrote:Tascam 16x08 works for 16 individual tracks.
Thanks for the information. Can you be more specific for the sake of other users? Does this require compiling Audacity with ASIO support, choosing a specific host such as Windows WASAPI in Device Toolbar, or using specific drivers from Tascam?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

boss96

Post by boss96 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:49 am

I'm sorry, I missed that.
I just got the Win10 driver from Tascam, then selected it in the Audacity pref. section as "Tascam" and 16 channels.
The only bad thing, but not really much, is you can't select let's say 10 channels and have it work. It is either 2 channels or 16. Which means when I record on Sundays, I only use 9-10 tracks. Not a big deal.
WASAPI is the windows setting I use.
Also if you want to do any overdubbing (playing the previous tracks while recording a new add on track) does not work so well as it takes a lot of PC resources since you are recording another 16 tracks. But if you mute the unused ones it helps quite a bit.

boss96

Post by boss96 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:52 am

I should mention that the Behringer X32 digital mixer which has a built in usb interface works with Audacity also, just get the correct windows driver from Behringer and you will see 32 tracks open up when you hit record. I had one of these at work for service and tried it out on my work pc.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks for confirming, and for information on the Behringer X32. I added these to our list of Windows devices at http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Multi ... ed_devices.
boss96 wrote:I just got the Win10 driver from Tascam, then selected it in the Audacity pref. section as "Tascam" and 16 channels.
The only bad thing, but not really much, is you can't select let's say 10 channels and have it work. It is either 2 channels or 16. Which means when I record on Sundays, I only use 9-10 tracks.
Yes, that is a known Audacity limitation in multi-channel recording. If you wish, we can record your "vote" on our Wiki Feature Requests page for Audacity to be able to select exactly which of multiple channels to record. It is just a vote count, you are not identified.
boss96 wrote:Also if you want to do any overdubbing (playing the previous tracks while recording a new add on track) does not work so well as it takes a lot of PC resources since you are recording another 16 tracks. But if you mute the unused ones it helps quite a bit.
I see in the FAQ's for US-16x08 that TASCAM recommend switching to Windows "High Performance" Power Plan to avoid power throttling when the computer appears to be idle.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual