Microhpone advice needed: Blue/Yeti vs Rode NT-USB

Did you buy a new mixer? Do you need advice? Post here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
christop
Operating System: Linux Debian

Re: Microhpone advice needed: Blue/Yeti vs Rode NT-USB

Post by christop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:12 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:35 pm
But there's another layer as well. I know you don't do this, but nothing drives me to homicidal fury faster than watching a "How To" video that makes a mistake and then makes me sit through them correcting the mistake.
Even with ElectroBOOM's "How To" videos? He has a knack for making mistakes. :lol:

Immerse123
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by Immerse123 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:00 pm

One of these may be useful if you're still looking (Blue Yeti is in the list but some of the others might be an option!).

[Advertising is not permitted]

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:13 pm

Immerse123 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:00 pm
One of these may be useful if you're still looking (Blue Yeti is in the list but some of the others might be an option!).

[Advertising is not permitted]
There are hundreds of blog sites about "The best 10 <enter product here>". It is not really helpful to link to them. Better to give your own personal review of the microphones that you have used.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:13 pm

He has a knack for making mistakes.
I did find a place where No Editing is handy. There is a plumbing show where the performer, for example, replaces a faucet valve and makes all the home-newby mistakes. "I tried extracting the old one by hand, but it wouldn't come out and I ended up using the little adapter they send with the kit."

Yes, do put a towel down so the screw you dropped doesn't go to the city sewer system.

Koz

microphoneglobe
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by microphoneglobe » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:33 pm

The Blue Yeti and the Rode NT USB are two of the most popular USB microphones on the market.

Now, they are very different and knowing these differences is something that will help you make a better decision.

In this post I’ll do a deepdive into both mics, give you some of their features, specifications, and more… and lastly I’ll do a quick comparison of both as well as give you my opinion on which you should get.

Let’s get started…
Blue is known for making excellent quality, and cool-looking microphones which certainly aren’t as expensive as some others out there. The Blue Yeti is their most famous microphone which works through USB and is plug n’ play, meaning that all you need to do is connect it and that’s it, it’s ready for use.

It will work perfectly both on Windows and Mac OS.

The build quality is great, it feels very durable and not like some cheap microphone that feels as if it’s going to break anytime.

It features a multitude of pickup patterns like cardioid, omnidirectional, stereo and bidirectional, which makes the Blue Yeti an incredibly versatile microphone, especially for the price.
You can get it in four colors; Silver, Blackout, Whiteout and Cool Grey.

It is not only an excellent microphone for podcasters, YouTubers and Voice-over artists, but it’s also pretty good for recording music… emphasis on pretty good.

This microphone also comes with a Gain control, mute button and a zero-latency headphone output, which is on the bottom.

All the knobs are easy to use, and you can quickly tell how much- or how little gain you’re dialing in.

The reason the Blue Yeti is a great option for recording music is, apart from its good sound quality, that it can record in stereo.

Why is the stereo pattern so useful?

We usually record acoustic guitars, pianos, etc. using two pencil condenser microphones which, when combined, give us some of the best sounding stereo recordings.
While the Blue Yeti won’t give you the exact same results as the two pencil microphones, it will certainly give you a better result than most cardioid microphones out there.

Another plus is that if you already own a cardioid microphone you can use the omni setting on the Blue Yeti and record with both of them at the same time, using the mid-side technique which is an excellent way of creating a stereo recording.
The Blue Yeti is very easy to use and doesn’t require any technical knowledge to be configured, just connect and use without the need to worry about any drivers or latency issues.

The Rode NT USB is an excellent Condenser USB cardioid microphone.

Rode is known for making extremely high-quality equipment at reasonable prices, and the Rode NT USB is no exception to this rule.

It comes with a pop filter, which is extremely good, a tripod desk stand, a ring mount, and a storage pouch.
The two controls on the side are for the headphone volume, which comes in handy when you want to do zero latency monitoring, and the Direct mix control between mic input and source output.

This means that you can choose to hear only what’s coming out of the PC, to only hear the direct signal from the Mic, or a blend of those.

Now, you might have noticed that it doesn’t come with a Gain dial, which for a mic in this price-range is just ludicrous.

You can control the levels from your PC however, but this isn’t ideal.

This microphone is ideal for recording singing and spoken word applications such as podcasting and voice-over.

When looking at the build quality I have to say that it’s just great.

It’s got some weight to it and it doesn’t feel at all flimsy or delicate.

Like I mentioned, it includes a pop filter which is rare since most microphones don’t include one, and even though it feels a bit flimsy it’s still a free pop filter that really works.
Now, since it’s only got a cardioid pickup pattern, it’s not as versatile as the Blue Yeti, plus the sound quality isn’t as good as I would have expected it to be.

Lastly, it works on Windows and Mac OS based computers, as well as the Apple iPad.
For spoken word applications or for quiet singing it works super well, however when recording instruments that are a bit too loud, or any other loud sound source for that matter, even if the signal doesn’t clip it will sound as if it’s clipping.

Also, having no Gain dial makes it a bit of a pain to set the levels correctly.

Other than that, I think that the Rode NT USB does a pretty decent job at doing what it’s supposed to do, just remember to not record very hot signals.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:55 pm

microphoneglobe wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:33 pm
The Blue Yeti and the Rode NT USB are two of the most popular USB microphones on the market.
Please do not plagiarise.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:42 pm

I'd still like to hear what koz is using....
So would I. I thought I knew where it was. Good thing I don't need it in a hurry.

Koz

jademan
Forum Crew
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by jademan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:51 pm

;)