recording from my behringer DJX900 USB mixer

hello there
what i try to do is to mix on my turntables and with the USB mixer (behringer DJX900USB) to record my mixes on my pc with audicity.
its working and i can record, but i have to turn the GAIN on the mixer right down as it comes in far too loud and cracks etc… badly…only if i turn the GAIN on my mixer down nearly to 0 my PC sounds ok on the speakeers and also on the head phones.
but thats not the way to mix and play my music, …
so i was thinking maybe i need a proper soundcard to adjust the volume on the income USB …?
the PC i am using is tower and i dont think there is any soundcard, as the USB cable from the mixer goes just into a USB,…
do i need a soundcard?
anybody can help with a bit info?
thanks anyway
dark matters :unamused: :smiley:

What are the meters in Audacity and the meters on the mixer showing? Do they (approximately) agree? The “digital maximum” is 0dBFS, but I don’t know if the meters on the mixer are calibrated to that. Analog-to-digital converters are hard-limited to 0dB and you’ll get clipping (distortion) if you try to go over.

Audacity won’t mess with the digital audio stream but Windows sometimes does…

Check your Windows settings to make sure there is NO [u]Microphone Boost[/u] on the USB device. (You may not have that setting/option, but if you do set it to 0dB (no gain).

And, make sure there are NO [u]Windows Audio “enhancements”[/u].

so i was thinking maybe i need a proper soundcard to adjust the volume on the income USB …?
the PC i am using is tower and i dont think there is any soundcard, as the USB cable from the mixer goes just into a USB,…
do i need a soundcard?

With the USB you are bypassing the soundcard. The mixer essentially has a USB soundcard/soundchip built-in.

Your tower computer probably has soundchip built onto the motherboard. If it has a line-input (usually color-coded blue) you can try it, but if there is any difference I’d expect the mixer’s USB to be better. (And if there is any difference it would usually be noise.)

thank you very much, and i did go through these tips. but no joy. but i have seen something else, and its officially not an AUDACITY issue as i can see now.
as stated above i am using turntables (technics mk2) and when i play anything the meters on this channel go right up to 100% i mean all in red. this is with the 3 adjusters as low, mid, and high and gain showing upwards sort of in the middle, i attach a picture, so maybe somebody can help. if i turn down the gain to 0 it still shows the meter in the red level, so i cant record anything with USB as it comes in/out far too high, …
as far as i can see its from the turntable to the mixer and the meter is all in red already… see pics please, and maybe anybody has a tip?
as this cannot be normal assume…
thank you
gain up.jpg
gain down.jpg

I’m sure by now it will be sorted but if not, is it possible that your cartridges are moving coil or moving magnet. One has a much higher output than the other. Can’t remember which though

Moving Magnet is the type associated with disco, dance floors, scratching, and mixing. They have high output volume and I expect a DJ Mixer to have a matching preamp. Does it switch between cartridge types? The preamp has to match or you will either get low volume and noise, or overload.

Koz

Phono channels generally don’t have trimmers or adjusters. That’s why you can’t make the overload go away.

Koz

That could just be hum. Did you connect the third wire of your turntables? Analog Turntables have three wires: Left Sound, Right Sound, and Ground. You must connect all three.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 8.46.45 AM.png
Koz

dark matters,

I’m sure by now it will be sorted but if not,

From the Behringer manual, “Unlike the MASTER output, the [TAPE and USB] output is fixed, making it necessary for you to adjust the input level on the recording device.”

May I suggest you might correct the problem by lowering the GAIN controls and/or fader levels on the four input and mic channels?