Blue Yeti High Pitch- fixable in post, but can it stream?

I recently purchased a used Blue Yeti. Every time I have tried to record, I get a high pitched static interference in the background, see attached for example.

Things I have tried without success:

-Plugging it into another computer produces the same high pitch problem
-Brand new mini-b usb cable also produces the same problem
-Running a series of 2 usb hubs away from my computer (i.e., USB port from mobo → hub → hub → microphone), and these hubs did not take any kind of external power. This seemed to have no effect on the whine.
-Turning down the levels in Win10 and turning up the gain on the mic/vice versa

Things that have sort of worked:
I can record stereo audio into Audacity, then choose ‘Split Stereo Track.’ This seems to isolate the high pitch; i can then mute or delete it and all is good. Image below is an example of what post-production looks like with the noise muted.

All of this is to say, I can fix it in post-production, but can never get it to actually record/stream correctly. Did I just buy a busted unit, or is there any hope for further troubleshooting?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard one that bad. That’s “Yeti Curse.” That’s the USB data stream interfering with the USB 5 volt battery system, both in the cable.

Normally, the computer produces 5 volts to run things like your mouse or keyboard. It’s supposed to be pure, clean 5 volts DC “Battery”, but sometimes they cut corners a little and it’s not so pure and clean.

Scene shifts to the microphone where, to cut corners, they run the super sensitive electret microphone element direct from the raw 5 volts coming from the computer instead of cleaning it up first. This is the computer and the microphone pointing at each other: “He’s going to clean it up.”

Audacity has a pre-baked effect to get rid of that, but I think in your case, the microphone may actually be broken. I’ve never heard it that bad and it doesn’t respond well to the fixes.

Where did you get stereo (two sound tracks) from? The Yeti is a mono microphone. The two tracks are badly damaged like a software interface is broken…???

The original answer is no. If the microphone isn’t clean at the git-go, you’re stuck. Audacity doesn’t do anything in real time.

i.e., USB port from mobo → hub → hub → microphone), and these hubs did not take any kind of external power. This seemed to have no effect on the whine.

It wouldn’t. The object of that experiment is to power a hub from the wall so the Yeti five volts is coming from clean, stable wall power instead of the ratty computer power. We stopped recommending that when people kept coming up with USB hubs that were so cheap and crappy, you just substituted wall power noise for computer noise.

Can you try it on a Mac? Don’t load any interface or driver software. Just plug it in. Let the machine recognize it and see what it sounds like.

I’ve never encountered an actual broken Yeti, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.

Koz

I just tried it on a pretty old mac, and it seems to be having the same problems. I can only assume when it is happening on 3 different computers, it has to be the mic?

Where did you get stereo (two sound tracks) from? The Yeti is a mono microphone. The two tracks are badly damaged like a software interface is broken…???

Don’t take me at my word because I’m admittedly way out of my element when it comes to audio issues, but I am using Audacity 2.3.3 and I do have the option to select my recording channel as “1 (Mono) Recording Channel” or “2 (Stereo) Recording Channel” with the Yeti as my recording device (using MME as Audio Host, if it matters). When recording with 2 (Stereo) as the option, I am then able to click on the Dropdown for my waveform and select ‘Split Stereo Track.’ This gives me two tracks, where one of them seems to have the high pitch ‘contained.’ Mute that second track and boom, I can export good sounding audio that I recorded from my Yeti.

I realize my picture didn’t come through on the first post, I’m trying again below but I’ve also included a link to a screenshot of what Audacity looks like with the settings referenced above.

Appreciate the speedy response! I just tried it on an old iMac (OS X 10.9.5) via Quicktime and yes, the high pitch is still there too. Thats 3 different computers now, which makes me lean even further towards the mic being the issue.

I am admittedly out of my element when it comes to audio issues so don’t take me for my word, but I am using Audacity 2.3.3 and I do have the option to select my Recording Channel as either “1 (Mono) Recording Channel” or “2 (Stereo) Recording Channel” with the Yeti as the recording device (and MME as Audio Host if it matters). When I have “2 (Stereo)” selected, I can click into the dropdown on my Waveform and select ‘Split Stereo Track.’ This gives me two tracks, where one of them seems to have the high pitch “contained.” Mute that track and boom, I can export good sounding audio that I recorded on my Yeti. I’ve provided samples of one with the high pitch and another with it removed in the attached.

I notice my picture didn’t come through on the last post. Trying again here and attaching it as well. It shows how Audacity looks with the settings referenced above.

I’m coming to grips with the fact that it may not be able to be used for streaming, but it seems that it shouldn’t work for post-production too if that is the case.

The microphone and recording system should deliver a clean, pure voice which may have a slight tonal imbalance or might be the wrong volume. That’s it. Your Yeti, past anything else being broken, starts the day in disaster recovery.

This is from a small, stand-alone sound recorder in a very quiet room. No changes to the recorded file except cut down from a much longer piece.

Again, it’s not unusual for a Yeti (and ones like it) to have this whine problem, but I’ve never seen one this bad. Did you save your receipts? Good return policy from the store?

Koz

Did you offend some deity in the last couple of weeks?

Test High Pitch has an almost perfect Left channel except you’re too close to the microphone and your Ps are popping. Easy fix.

The Right channel is a disaster.

If somebody paid me to make that happen, I wouldn’t know where to start.

Do you have the machine set up to record on-line music or YouTube sound?

What’s the possibility you’re recording from more than one microphone? Webcam?

Koz

Maybe I got one.

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 18.13.32.png
Regard #2. There are three microphones in there for the different patterns and directions. One of them could be fried.

Mess with the pattern selector on the back.

Koz

Appreciate the help, again Koz!

There are three microphones in there for the different patterns and directions. One of them could be fried.

I am thinking this is the case, as the ‘stereo’ audio I record always brings the high pitch noise in on the right channel of the track. At least I can bring the good-sounding left side to the middle and have something to export.

I tried each of the different modes on the back (original recordings were in Cardioid mode), but they are all plagued by the same problem. The technology fairy is just not having it! Unfortunately that’s the risk you take when buying used from your local FB marketplace, $50 seemed a good deal but I can only assume the seller was aware of these problems when getting rid of it.

I guess I’ll need to record an audiobook or something to get use out of this Yeti, instead of streaming with it as originally intended :wink:

$50 seemed a good deal

They go for $150 new-inna box. So you got 2/3 of a Yeti.

Try it. Back way from it a little and do this sound test.

https://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/TestClip/Record_A_Clip.html

Post it exactly as it comes out with one damaged track.

Koz

Here is the sound test:

Thanks for the test.

If you do decide to read professionally, you’ll need to do something about that boiler factory machine shop running behind you. Can you tell if the computer is on just by listening? Kiss of death.

I’ve seen pictures of people using a Yeti wrong. It’s a side-fire microphone. You should be speaking into the grill just up from the BLUE name, NOT the rounded end.

YetiFront.jpg
Select cardioid (heart or kidney pattern) with the switch on the back.

The voice is slightly crisp, but there are tools for that. I like the voice. I want to hear a mystery novel in that voice.

“Marsha wasn’t looknig forward to the meeting, but the house was oddly dark when she came up the drive…”

Koz

I have the same problem, and noticed that when I jiggled the USB cord the buzzing would temporarily stop. What I think has happened (at least to mine, and the buzzing noise mine makes sounds an awful lot like yours) is that the mini usb port in the bottom of the microphone has been broken loose. I think if that can be fixed then it should fix the problem.

It is a material defect in the micro-USB controller. When it comes loose this channel noise is the result. There is no fix, but they may cover the replacement under warranty.

I may have missed a step. We publish a “Frying Mosquitoes” interference filter. It’s tuned to the USB data pitches and sounds. It’s used in Post Production, so it still wont solve your streaming problem. Having it it fail on Mac is the kiss of death. They tend to not have this problem.

It doesn’t have to be malicious mischief or catastrophic failure. If someone used this microphone in a portable studio, they would have to plug and unplug it many, many times and there’s only so much gold inside that connection.

Mosquito-Killer4.ny (360 Bytes)
Koz

I have the same problem, and noticed that when I jiggled the USB cord the buzzing would temporarily stop.

Desperation Method has you jiggling the cable until you find a position where it works more or less reliably. Then tape it down and don’t move anything.

Picture blue painter’s tape holding the Yeti cable at a funny angle.

You can try another USB cable (if you haven’t already) and also buy a roll of painter’s tape in the same Amazon purchase.

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 7.41.05 PM.png
Koz