Creating a Cassette Converter plug-in

Audio software developers forum.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Creating a Cassette Converter plug-in

Post by steve » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:34 pm

imnabeeltrick wrote:Also this may sound like a dumb question, but how do i get Audacity to export the regions marked by sound finder into separate files?
Not at all dumb. See "Export Multiple" in the manual (direct link in online version: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/ex ... tiple.html)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

imnabeeltrick
Operating System: Please select

Post by imnabeeltrick » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:35 am

Hey guys,

Is there a way to make Audacity stop recording automatically when the tape ends? Like maybe if there's silence for more than say.. 5 seconds, Audacity just stops recording.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

imnabeeltrick wrote:Is there a way to make Audacity stop recording automatically when the tape ends? Like maybe if there's silence for more than say.. 5 seconds, Audacity just stops recording.
Not currently. Audacity can be made to stop immediately when the sound drops below a specified level (see Sound Activated Recording), but does not have a 5 second delay.

imnabeeltrick

Post by imnabeeltrick » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:21 pm

steve wrote:
imnabeeltrick wrote:Also this may sound like a dumb question, but how do i get Audacity to export the regions marked by sound finder into separate files?
Not at all dumb. See "Export Multiple" in the manual (direct link in online version: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/ex ... tiple.html)
So I'm guessing, that once Sound Finder marks the tracks, Export Multiple here will use the marks set by Sound Finder as labels?

imnabeeltrick

Post by imnabeeltrick » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:33 am

Also, I'm not really sure how to fit Actionaz into this. Initially I thought of creating a chain with noise reduction, then sound finder to mark the tracks, and then if possible exporting multiple in the chain itself. But if I do that, I'm not sure what to do with Actionaz.

imnabeeltrick

Post by imnabeeltrick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:29 am

Guys any suggestions on how I should proceed?

imnabeeltrick

Post by imnabeeltrick » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:40 pm

Okay last question. Is it possible to put export multiple into a chain? And if it is, how?
And also, is it possible to use Silence Finder to mark the silences (which are set as below a certain dB) and then using those marked regions as a noise profile for noise reduction? OR maybe immediately removing silences found by Silence Finder, and then consolidating, so that the gaps between tracks will be absolutely quiet (therefore no noise). At this point I'm only interested in the noise between tracks, not in the track itself.

The project's almost due so these are basically the last questions I'll be asking. :)

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:36 pm

imnabeeltrick wrote:Guys any suggestions on how I should proceed?
We can probably answer most of your technical questions, or at least point you in the direction of an answer, but I don't think that we can tell you how to invent something that you want to invent.
imnabeeltrick wrote:Is it possible to put export multiple into a chain?
No, export multiple is not supported in Chains.
imnabeeltrick wrote:s it possible to use Silence Finder to mark the silences (which are set as below a certain dB) and then using those marked regions as a noise profile for noise reduction?
Not automatically. You would normally select the "noise region" with your mouse, though if those regions were marked with region labels you could tab across the labels (move focus into the label track, then press the Tab key).

imnabeeltrick

Post by imnabeeltrick » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:07 am

steve wrote:No, export multiple is not supported in Chains.
So my only option is to manually click on Export Multiple after the processes are done? Is there no way to make Audacity immediately prompt where to save to right after the processes are done? Also, when exporting multiple, after tagging the first track is there a way to make the 2nd track retain say the artist, album, year? Just so that users won't have to key in the same thing again, making it redundant.
steve wrote:Not automatically. You would normally select the "noise region" with your mouse, though if those regions were marked with region labels you could tab across the labels (move focus into the label track, then press the Tab key).
I see. What about the deleting gaps between tracks and then consolidating them again? Is that possible?

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:55 am

Some of the tasks that you want to automate cannot be automated within Audacity. That is why I suggested using a third party scripting application such as Actionaz, Autokey, AutoHotKeys, Applescript, or similar.