Is there an Android mobile app in the works?

I think audacity is one heck of a program and i’ve been using it for several years without a hitch. With smartphones all the rage, will Audacity make a Mobile App for Iphone or Android? Would the software be so large that it would totally freak out the phone? Just a thought…so get cracking! :smiley:

We’re struggling to bring out Audacity Version 2 on all three computer platforms, so I wouldn’t be shocked to find no plans at all to bring out yet another platform. Unless you want to help us write it. Can you program?
Koz

I wish. Sorry, just a user…but not an abuser. you guys rock. Thanks for your knowledge and product.

Audacity has been developed using the wxWidgets toolkit library. wxWidgets provides the graphical interface for the (mostly) C+ code. Android does not support wxWidgets so there is no possibility of Audacity being ported to Android in the foreseeable future.

I would pay $5 for the app and of course allt he previous work done on it.

Android does not support wxWidgets so there is no possibility of Audacity being ported to Android in the foreseeable future.
If at some point in the future Android is able to support the wxWidgets library then there would be a possibility of developing an Android version, but until such time it is not possible.

If one knew someone with unlimited $, would you suggest they approach Audacity developers or Android developers to finance the way forward to the Audacity on Android promise-land?

9 years later …

Android still does not support wxWidgets, but Audacity has progressed significantly. It’s still unlikely that Audacity as we know it will be ported to Android / iOS - the user interface would have to change a lot to be usable on a small touch screen, the large amount of data (32-bit float PCM format) is likely to still be a problem, many of the libraries required by Audacity are not supported by Android / iOS, … and many other reasons. However, there’s a possibility that Audacity may be converted to use Qt in place of wxWidgets, and Qt does support Android / iOS, so there’s a possibility that a “light” version of Audacity may eventually be developed for Android / iOS.