Ideal settings for recording bass sounds and low frequency beat

Attempting to record low frequency noise from a noisy neighbor who plays e games loudly. Some bass but mostly the beat from the sound track of the game. I almost had it to the point one could hear the pattern. But it’s distorted. Tried reducing distortion didn’t work.

Also is there a way to get all settings back to default.

I’ve been mostly experimenting with bass & treble and amplify

What should those settings be ideally?

Should add I tend to think in terms of frequency and am not quite sure how to set in db. Negative db equate to lower frequencies?

Thanks

Negative db equate to lower frequencies

dB is volume. Zero dB is maximum volume and the sound gets quieter in negative numbers from there.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 6.29.46 PM.png
Bass sounds are rough. What are you using for a microphone? You may find that the resonances of your room make the booming louder in some places than others. It’s good to know that. “There’s that one place over by the credenza where the booming is really loud.”

Also, many home microphones intentionally suppress bass notes because that’s where many evil noises live. Thunder, bus/traffic going by, vocal P-popping, hand noises, and wind.

Attempting to record low frequency noise from a noisy neighbor who plays e games loudly.

Why make the recording?

Koz

Thanks for the reply

When it comes to the source of sound apparently they’re using portable speakers probably wireless because they area of the room the sound is strongest can change in less than a minute from front of room to back. Also when I think I’m near the source I can’t quite pinpoint it. I’m thinking they have a round speaker.

I’m using a condenser microphone with a usb connect for a computer. It’s picking up the sound because I can it on the graph on the recording. You can definitely see a regular pattern(a beat every 3/4 of a second).

I’m recording for proof to the landlord and maybe if the neighbor tenant realizes I can record what they’re doing they might quite down. These are small apartments and building here. It’s the upstairs neighbor which seems to make matters worse because my side neighbors have 3 kids who run around and I don’t hear it.

Thnx again

I’m using a condenser microphone with a usb connect for a computer.

Directional? Cardioid? Figure of 8? Without question the best microphone for this job is omnidirectional. Receives from all directions.

Far left pattern.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 7.43.36 PM.png

apparently they’re using portable speakers probably wireless because they area of the room the sound is strongest can change in less than a minute from front of room to back.

No serious gamer I ever saw can lift his sound system much less shuttle it around during the game. What’s much more likely is resonance points in your room change with boom pitch (or place in the game). Do you have a wooden floor? Kiss of death. All you need are two plain opposing walls or ceiling and wooden floor to bounce sound back and forth and make it seem louder.

There’s no good illustration for this (and it’s too late to shoot one myself). Watch the first half of this video.

That speed of liquid slosh really likes that truck. If you change the truck length or almost anything else, the speed of slosh will change.

Now picture bass notes sloshing around in your room. Some notes will really like building up by the china closet where others may like that one spot by the credenza.

Back to that truck for a second. If you could shake it fast enough, you might get two waves building up instead of just one long one. That’s your room responding to booms an octave up. You might also get two places in the room where that tone builds up.

This effect is all over the place if you know where to look. Ever wonder why guitars are shaped like that? That’s the best shape to bounce and magnify the string tones behind the round hole.

To bring this back around, I really doubt you’re going to be able to walk away with a good theatrical recording of the game. Boom Resonances can be really loud and they take over the microphone. You have the job that would send a recording engineer screaming into the night.

Koz

It’s an cardioid mic. It is a wooden floor with carpet. I see what you are saying about the speaker placement but they are definitely using a portable speaker and sometimes they play over or in a bedroom, kitchen or living rm. It also comes up on a list possible devices to connect to. This is their first year of gaming that I know of which could explain why no headphones yet. When I do locate the area in the ceiling you can feel the vibration. It’s also been suggested I get speakers designed to play bass or extra bass to hear or get the proper effect. My goal is to get the sound track/pattern to show I can hear what goes on up there.

The frustrating part is that the mic is apparently picking it up because the graph matches the pattern so it’s a matter or recording to reproduce for the human ear. I can’t get building shaking vibration but if I can get the game noises, patterns, sound track etc I think that will be enough.

Thnx again

It’s also been suggested I get speakers designed to play bass or extra bass to hear or get the proper effect.

That came up in other forum postings. Even if you did capture a representative performance, how do you play it to the people who need to hear it?

Phones and laptops need not apply.

Koz