I want to delve into the audio programming side of things but not sure where to start.

Audio software developers forum.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: I want to delve into the audio programming side of things but not sure where to start.

Post by steve » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:08 am

ishitagori5 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:49 am
I've heard C++ is best for audio.
C++ is a huge, and massively complicated language. If you are serious about mastering C++, expect it to take 10+ years of study and practice.

ishitagori5 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:49 am
now I want to include audio programming.
What sort of things do you want to program?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: I want to delve into the audio programming side of things but not sure where to start.

Post by kozikowski » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:09 pm

Audacity has a programming language.

viewforum.php?f=39

People use it to abbreviate and automate audio tasks, such as squooshing the three Audiobook Mastering tasks down to one instruction or Macro.

Like a lot of other things, programming appeals to a certain mindset. When I was in school, we had programming courses and I vividly remember slogging through a lesson (correctly, as it turns out) and then looking over to my neighbor's lesson. He had done exactly the same job at twice the speed and half the programming steps.

OK. So a career in programming is not for me.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:30 pm

That's not to say we're completely shut out of programming. We're just not C++ candidates.

Audacity Projects use programming.

AudacityProject2.png
AudacityProject2.png (88.37 KiB) Viewed 1844 times

That's a segment of a Music Project. It's written in XML, Extensible Markup Language. Audacity makes that thing, but it's really handy to know enough about it to know when it's screwing up.

I'm a Dot-Com. I wrote most of my web page myself in HTML. Hyper Text Markup Language on a text editor such as TextEdit or NotePad. That's programming. This is a section from the web page on Audacity.

KozcoAudacity.png
KozcoAudacity.png (80.49 KiB) Viewed 1844 times

You can tell it was written by a human because of all the white spaces between sentences. That's a complete waste of time for a machine. That's so I can find stuff.

Koz