What programming language is Audacity in?

Audio software developers forum.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
JoeDude
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by JoeDude » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:12 pm

What programming language is Audacity in? In the Wicki for building it on the Mac it refers to Xcode. Does this mean it has been translated into Swift for the Mac? I was under the impression it was in C++, and I was also under the impression Xcode didn't support C++. I am also interested in what it is in for Linux and Windows.

Blessings, Joe. :)

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: What programming language is Audacity in?

Post by steve » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:44 pm

JoeDude wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:12 pm
Mostly C++
The full source code is here: https://github.com/audacity/audacity

JoeDude wrote:
In the Wicki for building it on the Mac it refers to Xcode. Does this mean it has been translated into Swift for the Mac?
Yes we use Xcode on macOS.
No it hasn't been translated into Swift.
Xcode supports source code for the programming languages C, C++, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java, AppleScript, Python, Ruby, ResEdit (Rez), and Swift, with a variety of programming models, including but not limited to Cocoa, Carbon, and Java (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode).

JoeDude wrote:
I am also interested in what it is in for Linux and Windows.
Audacity uses the same source code on all platforms. Many cross-platform differences are handled by wxWidgets, and remaining differences handle by pre-processor commands for conditional compilation [for example: "#if defined(__WXMAC__)" ]
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)