Opencl

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
pager72
Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Opencl

Post by pager72 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Please add opencl to audacity because its badly needed. Currently cpu is used for previews and any other operation. Audacity can become the gimp of music editing if it incorporates opencl.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Opencl

Post by steve » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:54 am

OpenCL is not a "solution", it's a "framework". For many operations the performance bottleneck is disk I/O rather than CPU, so improving processing performance may not have as much of an impact as you expect. The Audacity developers look to various technologies for improving performance (including OpenCL). Audacity now uses SSE2 for some operations, and the developers are looking to make some operations run in parallel processes so as to take advantage of multiple CPU cores when available.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

pager72
Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Re: Opencl

Post by pager72 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 am

steve wrote:OpenCL is not a "solution", it's a "framework". For many operations the performance bottleneck is disk I/O rather than CPU, so improving processing performance may not have as much of an impact as you expect. The Audacity developers look to various technologies for improving performance (including OpenCL). Audacity now uses SSE2 for some operations, and the developers are looking to make some operations run in parallel processes so as to take advantage of multiple CPU cores when available.
Opencl is a solution and it can be considered a framework. I know there is partial opencl work available on its git, I also know opencl isn't as trivial as is writing simple C++ hence its not widely incorporated.