Filename of a selected audio track at export time

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
agua
Operating System: Windows 7

Filename of a selected audio track at export time

Post by agua » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:13 pm

I suggest that when exporting a selected audio track, the default file name be its track name. Currently, if you open an audio file to a track and then have several other tracks created or imported during your editing session, when you want to export a selected track, its default filename is the name of the first file opened, that is , always the one of the first track, not the one of the selected track.
Last edited by steve on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved to "Adding Features"

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Filename of a selected audio track at export time

Post by steve » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:00 am

agua wrote:Currently, if you open an audio file to a track and then have several other tracks created or imported during your editing session, when you want to export a selected track, its default filename is the name of the first file opened, that is , always the one of the first track, not the one of the selected track.
Actually the name of the exported track is the name of the "project".

If you import files (rather than record) into an empty project, or if you "open" an audio file in Audacity, the project is named according to the name of the audio file.
If you then export a track from the project, the name of the exported file is according to the name of the project.

In most cases, the above scheme is perfectly reasonable, but I agree that it looks a little strange in the specific case of:
"Import several files into a project, then export a selected track that is not the first track".
While there may be some benefit to treating this special case differently, software developers tend to be cautious about making "special case" behaviours, as the user then has to learn multiple behaviours and the situations in which they occur, rather than just one consistent behaviour.

In the common case of recording, the default name of the track ("Audio Track") is unlikely to be useful as the name of the exported track,
For a project that has been saved, the name of the project is arguably as good a name as any for the default name when exporting.

Perhaps it would be better if the user was prompted to name the project when the project window first opens, but that's at least one extra button press when starting a new project, which some users will complain about.

It is probably impossible to devise a naming scheme that will suit everyone in every case. The developers may be persuaded to change the scheme if presented with a scheme that demonstrates significant benefits overall, but there is always a downside to changing a behaviour that millions of current users are familiar with.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:50 pm

The easy workaround is ton drop a label at the bginning ogf the audio and for the label text use the filename you require - the use File > Export Multiple

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

agua

Post by agua » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 pm

The File>Export Mutiple option sounds good for the exporting with the track name as filename, except it applies to all tracks in the audacity open window rather than concerning only selected tracks. Am I right ?

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:58 pm

agua wrote:The File>Export Multiple option sounds good for the exporting with the track name as filename, except it applies to all tracks in the audacity open window rather than concerning only selected tracks. Am I right ?
Fundamentally I think you are right - but I have a suspicion that Audacity will not export any tracks that are muted (but sorry I haven't got time to test that right now)

WC
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

agua

Post by agua » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Is ther any way to export a specific audio track with its track name automatically taken as exported filename ?

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:44 am

agua wrote:Is there any way to export a specific audio track with its track name automatically taken as exported filename ?
Not that I know of.

But - I was right in my thinking that with Export Multiple (indeed all Exports) Audacity does not export any tracks that are muted.

So I can suggest a couple of workarounds

1)Using Export Multiple.

a) have multiple tracks
b) create an empty track - and name it say "Dummy"
c) mute all tracks with Ctrl+U
d) unmute the track you require - and unmute the dummy track
e) use Export Multiple (track-based option)
f) Audacity will export your track into a file based on the trackname - and it will export a dummy file (which you can just delete, later if necessary)

BTW Ctrl_Shift+U will unmute all the tracks

This kludge is because with Export Multiple based on tracks Audacity expects to be able to export "mutiple"( i.e. more than one) tracks.
Which is a bit odd as with Export Multiple based on labels Audacity will happily create a single audio file based on the single label (as in my earlier suggested workaround),
Now I'm thinking that this looks inconsistent - and I think it's perfectly reasonable for track-based Export Multiple to operate and not error out if you
i) have multiple audio tracks
ii) only one of those tracks is unmuted

2) Using Export Selected Audio
a) In the track you want to export, click in the Track control panel name to get the dropdown context menu
b) Click "Name" in the entry
c) use Ctrl+C to copy the trackname - and just exit that dialog
d) select the track you want export
e) use Export Selected Audio
f) the export dialog will pop up with the "File name" field active and highlighted
g) use Ctrl+V to overwrite the offered name (the project name) with your trackname
h) OK the export

WC

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:50 pm

agua wrote:Is ther any way to export a specific audio track with its track name automatically taken as exported filename ?
As wacylinder wrote, no, but there are workarounds.

Here's another workaround. It requires this plug-in to be installed, and assumes that you don't already have any label tracks:
tracknamelabel.ny
(300 Bytes) Downloaded 19 times
See here for how to install the plug-in:
Windows: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/inst ... st_install
Mac: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/inst ... st_install
Linux: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/inst ... st_install

With the plug-in installed:
1) Click on the track that you want to install
2) From the "Generate" menu, select "Track Name Label"
3) Click the "Solo" button on the track that you wish to export
4) "Export Multiple" based on Labels. The default naming options will use the label text, which is the name of the track that you selected in step 1.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)