Time Markers to assist computations

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Time Markers to assist computations

Post by steve » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:35 pm

I've now got an i7 laptop with SSD, but my previous laptop was a dual core pentium with spinny disk. On that laptop, things got slow with large files, so I just chopped up large projects into smaller projects (between 30 minutes to 1 hour max). When necessary, I'd stitch the projects together at the end by simply importing the WAV files from each of the projects into a new project. Mostly that last step was unnecessary and I could just use the 30 / 60 minute files.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

PuzzlerBob
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by PuzzlerBob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Steve,

I used the feature as you suggest and yes it does work. Thank you. However there's one slight issue I'm having...

If you attempt to shift a piece (call it piece B) into/through an existing piece (call it piece A) it stops. This is understandable behavior. In my case I'd prefer it to "plow through" piece A. For example if I attempt to move piece B one second into piece A then I'd like piece A to be trimmed by one second to make room for the movement. Perhaps if the user held down the shift key while using the time shift tool (or some other key) it could allow it to do this.

Half of the edits I perform need this. Without this it takes me an extra step because I have to manually remove some of piece A.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:11 pm

When you want to replace parts of track with other parts, it's easier if you use multiple tracks.
The steps that you cannot see in the GIF below are:

* "Track Focus" is the track that is currently being operated on. It is indicated by a yellow border to the track. To move track focus from one track to another, use the up / down cursor keys.

* "Track Selection" is indicated by the highlighting of the track (notice in particular the highlighting of the info panel on the left end of the track). The selectedness of the track that has focus may be toggled on / off by pressing the ENTER key.

Note that to speed up the process, keyboard shortcuts may be used (they are shown in the menus).

Click on the image below to expand it.
move.gif
move.gif (451.05 KiB) Viewed 253 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)