History of effects after saving project

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: History of effects after saving project

Post by steve » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:19 am

kostanos wrote:What I propose for this feature is a settings, where you actually can set how many effects you want to save to be able to undo.
From a technical point of view, the way that it would need to be done to allow undoing effects, would be to specify the number of "undo levels" (see: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/und ... ml#history). It is not possible to save only the undo steps when effects are applied - any intermediate steps also need to saved.

Although the next release of Audacity does not have this feature, it does provide a way to save a robust copy of the current state with perfect sound quality. (for a sneak preview, see "Save Lossless Copy of Project..." in the Audacity 2.3.0 alpha manual: https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/ma ... ve_Project )
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Rick944S
Operating System: Please select

Post by Rick944S » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 pm

It would be immensely handy to save all history out to a text log file. I am editing a live performance in 3 separate chunks, I would like to be able to repeat steps in editing the next file by using the log as a reference.
I think this is what the OP was knocking at.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:36 pm

Rick944S wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 pm
I would like to be able to repeat steps in editing the next file by using the log as a reference.
If it's something that you need to repeat several times, you could create a Macro to run it automatically. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/macros.html

If Audacity had the ability to automatically convert steps from the History into a Macro, that might be very useful for all sorts of things (as well as being an easy way to create complex macros).

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:52 am

I briefly looked through the help system for a different editor, one that did actually save UNDO with its projects. Universally, Every Help Post was a complaint how large the shows were.

You can use Chains/Batch/Macros to collect different effects in one place so they can be applied all at once just by applying the Macro and not the individual effects.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/macros.html

How about making Audacity create the Macro from the edit session? You don't really need gigs and gigs of audio data, you just need:

========================
Start
Amplify [settings]
RMS Normalize [settings]
Compressor [settings]
Equalization {settings]
End
========================

Or at the end of the show...

Save Effects as Macro [Y/N]

I am perfectly clear about the limits of this. Someone is going to want to take an effect out of his show. All that and Audacity still can't remove effects, filters and processing from a mixed show.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:03 am

Dueling posts, or I wasn't paying attention?

Koz

godfearer
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by godfearer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:03 pm

Thanks to kozikowski for suggesting to use Chains/Batch/Macros. That will be at least a part of the work around for me. However, even that doesn't get me where I think I should be. I should be able to know that I applied the "amplify" at this db (or ratio or percentage), even if I did it 4 sessions (4 open save close sessions) ago. This work around, while it offers at least some way to record what I applied, still isn't a record that I applied Macro1 versus Macro2. Yes, undo kept beyond a session would be get the best, but even being able to turn on a text log as your default where all actions are recorded and appended to the text log file would be better than what is offered by audacity at this time.

I vote that some improved feature be added to a future release which saves the details of a user's activities.

Mungojassie
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Mungojassie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:29 pm

I second Godfearer's post to vote that a log that can be accessed after closing a project be created. I should have checked here before closing my Project, since I have a second recording done at the same time and was going to just apply the same edits once I got the first the way I wanted it. D'OH!! Luckily, I did save my effects, but I had made a few and then didn't apply each in the end. Ah well, more practice for me at getting the sound I want! ;)

LeoFlash726
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by LeoFlash726 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 am

steve wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:16 am
The History is not saved with the project (or with exported audio files), so once the project has been closed the list is no longer available.
:shock: :x
I had the same question. Poo. I was playing around with effects on a project, and ended up with a great combo, but now I want to re-do the original audio. I have no idea which effects I finally settled on!

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:58 am

Mungojassie wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:29 pm
a log that can be accessed after closing a project be created
How does that work? How long would Audacity retain that log? Would there be an ever growing log of everything you do in every project forever?

Unique

Post by Unique » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:50 pm

I would like to see the ability to undo effects after the project has been closed as well.