Recording (input) from multiple devices simultaneously

Hi Guys,

I suggest the implementation of an aspect that Audacity never allowed and which is extremely important.

Allow recording (input) from multiple devices simultaneously on the same track or on different tracks but recording simultaneously. For example, I have an audio input that can be a line input or PC sound and I want to record the microphone at the same time, Audacity does not allow the recording of these
two devices simultaneously.

Any DAW will do this. Even OBS Studio does that.

It is not difficult to add this possibility to Audacity. And it would be very useful.

Despite rarely using Audacity, I consider it to be an excellent audio
software and I would like to thank everyone who participated in this
project.

Thanks.

Good idea… Hopefully this is something the developers can take a look at after completing their efforts on the QT GUI migration, and on improving plugin-support including VSTi’s and MIDI, and countless other support issues.

Traditionally, Audacity has used all the conditions and pathways that the basic computer has, and the basic computer has one (stereo) playback and one (stereo) record. So to break that barrier, you would need to design and build a sound manager separate from the machine. Oh, and do it for all three popular computer platforms and multiple languages.

This is an “All I Need Is…” problem.

Koz

It does on Mac and Linux, because Mac and Linux allow you to create “aggregate devices”.

An aggregate device is a virtual device that takes it’s inputs from one or more devices. By creating an aggregate device that takes its inputs from multiple sound cards, applications can access all inputs from all of the sound cards. Unfortunately Windows does not provide this feature, but it is available via third party software such as products from https://vb-audio.com

I think that if you try developing this feature you will quickly learn that it is difficult.

By creating an aggregate device that takes its inputs from multiple sound cards, applications can access all inputs from all of the sound cards.

There is a yes, but. Last I did this on a Mac, it asked me which source I wanted to use as a Master. It will only lock to one of the incoming clocks (48000, 44100, etc). Whichever source you pick will probably be well behaved and maintain good timing and sync, the others may not.

You can rip a multi-channel recording apart in post production and re-sync each track (Effect > Change Speed).

Someone will correct me, but I’m pretty sure you can’t cross sample rates.

This is also a terrific time to get good with a clap board.

One bang at the beginning and one at the end. I know people who can hit lip sync and music rhythm almost perfectly by hand, on the fly in post, but it’s not fun.

Koz

This definitely is on the shortlist of things to tackle next.