Precise way to set recording level

I currently do not see a way to do this, and a forum search did not produce a previous discussion.

I have a very simple request. Moving the recording level slider is not very precise. Sometimes I want to bump the level up or down just a tiny bit, perhaps even just 1 number. It can be hard to get the slider to do that. It would be very helpful if there was a way to actually enter the level you want by entering the digits, a box where you could type “70” for example. Or, as an alternative or in addition to that, make the -/+ symbols at the end of the level bar, functional, so each click on the + or - moves the level 1 step.

Thank you for considering this.

Double click on the slider.

Just FYI - Digital recording levels are NOT CRITICAL as long as you avoid clipping. Analog-to-digital converters can’t go over 0dB and they will clip (distort) if you “try”.

You can use the Amplify or Normalize effect after recording to precisely-adjust after recording.

We usually recommend shooting-for -3 to -6dB but nothing bad happens if you get “close” to 0dB and nothing bad happens unless you go way-way lower. And It depends on what you’re recording. If you are recording live vocals or acoustic instruments the levels are less-predictable so you usually need to record lower to leave more headroom for unexpected peaks.

“Headroom” if is a funny thing… If you don’t use it you didn’t need it, and if you do use it it’s no longer headroom!

Pros typically record at -12 or -18dB (at 24-bits) and in the end, the final production is usually 0dB normalized. (Or there are certain other requirements for broadcasts, movies and ACX audio books.)

\

Low analog levels can sometimes be a problem or an indication of a problem. In the analog world there is electrical noise and acoustic noise and a stronger signal gives you a better signal-to-noise ratio.

If you’re old enough to remember analog tape, you wanted a “hot” signal to overcome tape hiss. But with digital - No tape hiss! Also analog tape is more forgiving with the “loud parts”. Tape tends to soft-clip when you go “into the red” and the tape recording/playback EQ tends to further “soften” the clipping so it wasn’t unusual to occasionally push tape over 0dB.