Add option to swap the ok-cancel buttons order in the appropriate dialog windows

This refers to this topic: [url]https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/inconsistency-on-cancel-ok-button-ordering/57636/1]

I’m experiencing the same issue. For example, in the preferences menu the order is cancel-ok and on the normalize effect menu it is ok-cancel. I’m on Mint 20.1.

It seems that the report that the effects dialog windows have it “reversed” is right, and I would add that the windows in the “Generate” drop-down menu also seem to have the “reversed buttons” issue.

It can be frustrating to the user not to have the order consistent, so I thought it could be a good idea to have, maybe under “Preferences > Interface”, an option to reverse the buttons’ order when the detection of the “right order” fails.

I’m also curious about the technical details of this issue, so if you have any input(pun hehe) I’d love to hear it.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I cannot reproduce this on W10

Testing on W10 with 3.0.2 and the latest alpha test build I have for 3.0.3 I see OK before Cancel with both
a) Preferences dialogs
b) Effect dialogs
c) Generator dialogs
d) Analyzer dialogs

The Audacity Manual also shows that to be the case.

Peter.

I note this final comment by Steve last year in the thread you linked to:

The issue is present on Xubuntu Linux.

Observe that in File dialogs, the Cancel button is to the left of the Save button:

export.png
save-project.png
but everywhere else the Cancel button is to the right of the OK / Yes / Confirm button:

generate.png
effect.png