Addition to Filter Curve EQ

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
woodpecker7
Operating System: Windows 10

Addition to Filter Curve EQ

Post by woodpecker7 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 am

Hi there,

I'm very pleased with Audacity ver 3.0.2 - congratulations to all involved.
Here's a suggestion to allow more precise setting of the frequency on Filter Curve EQ.
It allows fine adjustment of the X axis (frequency) in a similar way to the existing Y axis (level).

Here's how it might look :
Filter_curve_EQ1.jpg
Filter_curve_EQ1.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 145 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Addition to Filter Curve EQ

Post by kozikowski » Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am

You know you're not limited to the default horizontal size of the display, right? You can grab one edge of the window and pull. Then you can push the whole thing off the screen and do it again. You can get super accuracy that way without programming or development.

There is one problem with super accuracy. The sound system may not follow you.

This is a pulled and expanded display of the audiobook low rolloff filter.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 3.05.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 3.05.37 AM.png (57.42 KiB) Viewed 139 times

See that lumpy green line. That's what the filter is really doing. It's not following the surgically correct black curve.

Koz

woodpecker7
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by woodpecker7 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi Koz,

Yes, I'm aware of how the filter and green line work. Lets say I need a filter centered on 800Hz with a passband of 40Hz at -6dB, and 60Hz at -60dB.
If I could zoom in to a display with X axis from say 750Hz to 850Hz, this would make setting it up much easier.
Also I could see from the green line how close the filter was to the design requirements.

Would anyone else find this useful ?

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm

woodpecker7 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:57 pm
Lets say I need a filter centered on 800Hz with a passband of 40Hz at -6dB, and 60Hz at -60dB.
It sounds like you want a Notch Filter: https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqu ... tch_Filter
You can limit the depth (maximum attenuation) of a notch by mixing in a (much attenuated) copy of the unfiltered audio.
woodpecker7 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:57 pm
Would anyone else find this useful ?
Very rarely, yes. In 99.9% of cases I find that I can see enough simply by maximising the effect window.

For many cases where I might need a better view with the Filter Curve effect, there's a better alternative available (such as using a notch filter, or one of the "Spectral effect" filters: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/spe ... ction.html)

It is also possible to define custom filters with Nyquist https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/nyquist.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)