Spreadsheet interface for editing labels

I couldn’t find a way of changing multiple labels fast, so my current workflow includes exporting the labels, importing them into a spreadsheet, editing the labels there and reimporting them into Audacity.
It would be much easier to have a spreadsheet interface inside Audacity where to copy-paste lists of labels…

Does this meet your needs?
– Bill

First of all, I hadn’t notice the features before, so my apologies for wasting your time.

Regarding my requirements, it almost does, but not quite.
I would like to be able to do copy-paste, from a plain text file into the label column so I can fill all the field in few clicks…

What are you doing with the labels? Just adding label text?

You can:

1. File > Export > Labels

2. This produces a space-separated .txt text file

3. Open Excel

4. Open the txt file (I used drag&drop onto open Excel)

5. edit as required

6. File > Save As

7. Save as type: Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt)

8. in Audacity File > Import > Labels

9. import the edited file

I just tested this - and it all worked fine.

Peter.

Hi WaxyCilinder… this is exactly what I’m doing at the moment (with OpenOffice though…)
This hurdle could be easily avoided by allowing to paste a list of values on the top of the spreadsheet editor in Audacity…

I’m recording list of words and list of titles, where each word and each title belongs in its own file.
For instance, I record 100 words from a preset list, then I import the audio file in Audacity, then I find the silences, create the labels and use the original list to paste on top of the labels…

I could explain my entire workflow but this is the most relevant part…

Is each “word” always a single word (no spaces)?
Do you have the list as a text file, in which each word is separated by a space?

How do you do that? Manually or with Sound Finder / Silence Finder?

No always…, sometimes it’s phrases… but I leave a distinctive, long silence/pause between each phrase and word, so it will be detected properly by the sound finder…

Sound Finder.

Going back to the original idea, it would be awesome if could just paste a list (a new line separated list) on top of the column, so I could totally avoid the roundtrip of exporting, importing, editing and reimporting.

Here’s a modified version of Sound Finder.
I’ve called it “Sound Finder Labels”.

It has one additional control to select a text file.
The text file must have one label name per line, like this:

Hello
Hello World
Hi there
bye

It MUST be a plain text file (NOT a word processor document).
Try to avoid using any “special” characters in the file. A-Z, a-z, 0-9, space and underscore are “safe”.

When run, it will read one line from the file for each label, like this:

Tracks000.png
Here’s the plug-in:
SoundFinderLabels.ny (4.72 KB)
This is a “Nyquist Plug-in”. Installation instructions for Windows are here: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_effect_generator_and_analyzer_plug_ins_on_windows.html#nyquist_install

A fairly recent version of Audacity is required (I’ve tested with Audacity 2.3.3 and Audacity 3.0.0).